DaniK

Bona Allen Saddle- Value?age? More Info

I have a bona allen saddle that I would like to get more info on. I can find very little info on the internet. I was told it is a roping saddle, and possibly around 40 years old. Can anyone help me with value and more info on bona allen saddles? It has a serial # I807 180 - 12860 thank you!

I have a bona allen saddle that I would like to get more info on. I can find very little info on the internet. I was told it is a roping saddle, and possibly around 40 years old. Can anyone help me with value and more info on bona allen saddles? It has a serial # I807 180 - 12860 thank you!

post-55791-0-80937100-1412520667_thumb.j

Edited by DaniK

Whoops this was supposed to attach...will take more todaypost-55791-0-35444100-1412526180_thumb.j

I don't know anything about the serial #'s etc. I will say that this is the way that I thought fancy saddles and padded seats should look in the 60's and not much later, to mid 70's at latest. But before I would use that to 'age' it, I would want to be able to closely examine the hardware, tree and periphrials. But since BA was targeting a different market than I did back then (me=west Texas, Rocky mountains, them SE), if anybody could help with #'s or catalogue pics they would be more definitive.

Looks to me like a low to middle of the line saddle when it was new, the 60's or 70's is probably close. With in-skirt rigging on a production saddle I'm not certain it was ever meant to be roped out of. The pictures you posted today appear to me to show a Ralide tree with a break in it. I would turn this into a wall hanger or think up some interesting western décor item to make out of it. Tearing the saddle apart, trying to repair the crack in the tree and putting it all back together would exceed the value of the saddle in IMHO. If that is a crack in picture #3 I wouldn't use this saddle.

There's my 2 cents.

Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman

Ditto, maybe for colts to wear without fear if they roll on it.