Tallbald

When You Buy A Leather Sewing Machine, Does Everyone "need" Something From You?

I guess a long winded post I made a few minutes ago about this got lost in cyberspace. Basically, I was asking if other leather craftspersons, once they have a leather sewing machine (or develop hand stitching skills), find that family and friends all of a sudden "need" you to make them a holster, four wheeler cover, motor cycle bags or some other time-consuming thing? I always tried to be a helpful man to strangers , friends and family when I could before I got hurt. But when I respond to those nowadays with a "need" for leather work projects ( whom I gather aren't planning to pay for my time or materials), I usually respond "I'll do better than that! Come to my house, I'll teach you to make a pattern, help you order the material and show you how to hand stitch or use my machine when I get it.". Without fail, the subject never comes up again. Same thing happens to my wife when people even at church learn she has a quilting machine and necessary skills to use it.

Am I being a stingy old man or am I on-target to politely redirect requests for essentially free time and materials and turn them into offers to teach the person themselves? I don't ask my mechanic buddies to change my truck shocks for free, nor my cattle farmer friends to give me free hamburger.

Is everyone but me giving family discounts? Jumping at a chance to do something for free? Don

Edited by Tallbald

LOL You should hope they don't take you up on your offer to teach them............that will often involve a great deal more time than actually doing the job yourself.

My position is that I will often do things for others......one time. Then depending on how they act.....whether they reciprocate, offer payment, or some other compensation, there may be a next time. Of course this doesn't apply to children, or old ladies......they usually get a free ride.

I haven't experienced this at all. I started my prices on things relatively high and I didn't make any excuses about them, so most folks don't come looking for handouts. I will do pro bono work for friends that reciprocate, or those that truly have a need, but my time and abilities have value and I expect to be compensated accordingly.

I've always been the guy who believed in "What goes around, . . . comes around", . . . Karma, . . . "as ye sow, . . . so shall ye reap".

Yeah, . . . I've probably done more and given away more for others than I have received, . . . but I feel good about it, . . . am at peace with myself over it, . . . and do not have any problems with it.

Sometimes, I have found, . . . that something done as a kindness or friendship or even as charity, . . . has a way of paying more dividends than the bank book can hold.

But again, . . . that is my whole philosophy of life, . . . and it has kept me up until 69 +, . . . so maybe it is pretty good after all.

As a caveat, though, . . . I am careful not to become the "go to" boy for freebies. There is a limit.

May God bless,

Dwight

Some people will try to take advantage of you once they find you are sympathetic to their cause. Offering to help them learn how is a good solution. Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Tom

"Am I being a stingy old man or am I on-target to politely redirect requests for essentially free time and materials and turn them into offers to teach the person themselves? I don't ask my mechanic buddies to change my truck shocks for free, nor my cattle farmer friends to give me free hamburger.

Is everyone but me giving family discounts? Jumping at a chance to do something for free? Don"

Normally, family and Close friends I write it off as Christmas, Bday or ....

Relatively strangers, hope u have something good to trade if not $.

My view is that the only time i give something for free is when it is a holiday gift. I have no problem with giving family and friends discounts the rest of the year, and if I can knock something out in a half hour with their materials, I'll just do it. However, if something is going to take real time or my stocks, I expect to be paid for it. I'll do stuff at cost, but not less. This of course does not take into account special projects or volenteer work.

When I invested in a machine to start changing this hobby into a hobby business, my friends and family were my first and are still my best customers. I always quote them a price first so no one is ever surprised. I will extend a discount to family or even barter with friends if it's a good deal for both of us. And sometimes I will throw in a small freebie. It's working well for me as they have been my best advertising.

I guess I'm fortunate. I've never had family ask for freebies, although I have, and will continue to, make gifts for some of them "just because". It's usually something fairly easy and simple.

If they ask for something, I will do it for the cost of my materials - on occasion. And in my timeframe. I have to take care of paying customers first.

Friends are always charged, unless I am making them a gift. Depending on who they are, I may discount it, but they understand that I am not a charity organization.

Oh, BTW Don... Since you have that new machine, can you whip me out a complete set of luggage when you get a sec? I'm more than willing to pay half the shipping to Georgia :crazy::rofl::banana:

Once again, and informative and entertaining conversation. Thanks. Don