Tassie Bettong

How Do I Sew The Other Side Of A Loop Below A Buckle With A Sewing Machine?

Hi All I am hoping someone can help me with a method to sew the second side of a leather leather loop below a bucke on straps with a sewing machine? Is there a way to do this.

I can do it when hand stitching but I can't see a way to do it with a sewing machine??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

if you are talking about a keeper loop, I dont see how you could machine stitch it. But then, I have zero experience with machine sewing.

I sew them by hand. I can't see any way to sew them by machine.

Chief

Sorry, Tassie, unless you have a patch machine or something of that nature, . . . you pretty much have to do it by hand.

I make double layer "cowboy" belts that also gets a keeper sewn into the buckle end of the belt, on the back side.

The way I do it is I put my keeper in between the layers, on the bottom of the belt, with the outside of the belt facing up.

I remove the thread from my needle, . . . and use the machine to make about 5 holes before the keeper, . . . all the holes for the keeper, . . . and 2 or 3 after the keeper.

I pull the belt out of the machine, remove the keeper, put the thread in, pull out an extra 10 inches of bobbin and spool thread, then begin my sewing process. I sew starting at the last hole I made by the keeper, . . . around the buckle end, . . . and this time when I come to the keeper on the top side of the belt, . . . I sew it in place (I have also previously added contact cement so it is ready when I put it together).

Then I continue sewing the belt all the way around to the keeper on the other side, . . . then stop within about 2 holes of the keeper, . . . pull out 10 inches of bobbin thread and spool thread, . . . cut the threads, . . . remove the belt, . . . and hand sew the 6 or 8 stitches it take to put it into place.

Review what I said: there is an extra 10 inches of thread before and after the keeper, . . . I hand sew the keeper on the bottom both ways, . . . making a double stitch at the keeper.

This not only camoflages my overlap, . . . but gives me a secure place to lock the stitches, . . .

Hope this helps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Have you considered using a Plier Staplers I think Al stohlman talks about using on in his book on belts I use one and it makes things a lot faster.

Doug

Thanks Everyone.

Dwight that is just the answer I was looking for. I have seen so many machine stitched straps and belts with loops. I was sure there was some way it could be done. And so simple and easy. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it, thinking there must have been special feet or machines, as soon as you described it, a light bulb went on and I thought of course! How simple and easy to do. Thank you.

You're certainly welcome, Tassie, . . . but I can't take full credit.

I learned how to do that watching a video of John Bianchi's on how to make Western style holsters.

Just out of curiosity, . . . are you near the Gold Coast, . . . south of Brisbane? I had the privilege of spending the better part of a week there one time, . . . and it was great.

May God bless,

Dwight