mwinans

new stitch groover ?

So I just got a stitch groover from Tandy but I'm not happy with it. The problem may be that it just isn't sharp. It takes quite a bit of effort to get a groove and leaves a ragged edge when you get one. I tried to sharpen it with my Dremel but that didn't help. Probably poor sharpening technique. Is it worth buying new replacement blades or paying more for a better quality groover? I also would like to know how you groove the inside stiches of a holster?

So I just got a stitch groover from Tandy but I'm not happy with it. The problem may be that it just isn't sharp. It takes quite a bit of effort to get a groove and leaves a ragged edge when you get one. I tried to sharpen it with my Dremel but that didn't help. Probably poor sharpening technique. Is it worth buying new replacement blades or paying more for a better quality groover? I also would like to know how you groove the inside stiches of a holster?

In my opinion, the only stitch groover worth having is the Versa Groove made by Bob Douglas. The guide is easily removable so that it can also serve as a freehand groover. I would buy one of those and return the Tandy groover. I've tried the Osborne, Tandy, JW and a couple of others that I cn't even rememer the names of...Douglas' is the best. I do occasionally use a JW groover, but I have fitted a Douglas blade in it.

Bob

I have to agree with Bob, I recently got a versa groover, took awhile to convince myself to pay the $75 but it was the best $75 I ever spent, dont regret it for a minute

In my opinion, the only stitch groover worth having is the Versa Groove made by Bob Douglas. The guide is easily removable so that it can also serve as a freehand groover. I would buy one of those and return the Tandy groover. I've tried the Osborne, Tandy, JW and a couple of others that I cn't even rememer the names of...Douglas' is the best. I do occasionally use a JW groover, but I have fitted a Douglas blade in it.

Bob

I have to agree with Bob, I recently got a versa groover, took awhile to convince myself to pay the $75 but it was the best $75 I ever spent, dont regret it for a minute

AMEN!!! :16:

in the meantime, return the groover (regardless of what you've done with the blade) to Tandy's and get a replacement. I agree with the Versa fans about an outstanding groover, but Tandy's should do an adequate job out of the bag. Did you get the adjustable groover or the saddlemaker's groover? The saddlemakers is a tad heavier duty and all-around works better. Tandy will either replace your current one (try the replacement in the store to be sure it's sharp) or give you credit toward something else.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the saddle makers groover but I'll be returning it and getting a versa groove. I will probably just get store credit since there is no Tandy store here in Fairbanks and I can't try any of the tools out in person. Thanks again for the help. I'm pretty new to some of this so you''ll probably hear more from me in the future. Where can I find the versa groover?

Mark

Edited by mwinans

I've been going to order a Versa Groover and a slim blade awl for some time, How are the Haft's that Bob makes? Just ordered a new Tippmann embosser and all the creasing wheels, Kinda toyed out in the budget for the week!

-Andrew

www.awharness.com

I've been going to order a Versa Groover and a slim blade awl for some time, How are the Haft's that Bob makes? Just ordered a new Tippmann embosser and all the creasing wheels, Kinda toyed out in the budget for the week!

-Andrew

www.awharness.com

i have one of Bob's hafts as well as a slim blade awl...The awl is probably the best ever...The hafts are good, but you can get one just as good from Barry King for almost half the price. Bob's hafts are 65.00 and Barry's are 35.00.

I have an older Tandy groover that I have used a bunch. However I also have a Versa Groover and an old Osborne one as well.

The problem with the new Tandy ones is that the center toe is much shorter than the older Tandy groover. It is about 1/8" to 5/32" shorter. The toe would not stay on the edge of the leather without skipping off,. This would then ruin your stitch line.

Regards,

Ben

Ok, so I tried to google the Versa Groover but I can't seem to find anyone who sells it online. Anyone know where to get one?

Thanks!

Gary

Sure Gary...I thought HideCrafters and Weaver sold them, but you can always order direct from Bob Douglas at:

Douglas Tools 307-737-2222 Sheridan, WY

Sure Gary...I thought HideCrafters and Weaver sold them, but you can always order direct from Bob Douglas at:

Douglas Tools 307-737-2222 Sheridan, WY

Hidecrafter's used to carry it, but they don't anymore.

Ditto to what Marlon said about Hidecrafters. One of the items that "fell" off the list.

Jeremiah's scratch compass is what Weaver carries.

Regards,

Ben

I've got the Tandy stitch groover and works okay, but the screw that hold the blade in place is stripping. Do they sell replacement screws?

Have not scene one, mine is stripping also. Imagine you could find one at a hobby place or hardware store. ACE comes to mind for the harder to find stuff locally. I think its basically just a set screw.