ClayB

Painting Cow Newsletters and Free Tutorials

Just wanted to let everyone know that the December issue of Paul's newsletter and his latest free online tutorial is out. It's a little late, but it's worth the wait. This month Paul is talking about modeling tools. He also goes into tracing patterns and dealing with those dotted lines. If you haven't checked out Paul's lessons before, you really owe it to yourself to take some time and do it. I think these are some of the best instruction for carving that you are going to find anywhere, and he gives a lot of his information away for FREE!! There is advertising in his newsletter for the lessons he has available for sale too. I have most of his lessons, and if you are serious about becoming a better carver, I recommend you getting all of the lessons he sells. You can see his free online lessons by going to his site Painting Cow Be sure to check out the past lessons if you haven't and save them to your computer for future reference.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the December issue of Paul's newsletter and his latest free online tutorial is out. It's a little late, but it's worth the wait. This month Paul is talking about modeling tools. He also goes into tracing patterns and dealing with those dotted lines. If you haven't checked out Paul's lessons before, you really owe it to yourself to take some time and do it. I think these are some of the best instruction for carving that you are going to find anywhere, and he gives a lot of his information away for FREE!! There is advertising in his newsletter for the lessons he has available for sale too. I have most of his lessons, and if you are serious about becoming a better carver, I recommend you getting all of the lessons he sells. You can see his free online lessons by going to his site Painting Cow Be sure to check out the past lessons if you haven't and save them to your computer for future reference.

Thank You Clay,

Very useful and now I understand the"Modeling Lioness" better:-) I'm going to try it out and see what I can do with this style, it looks much better and softer (and personally I don't like the cuts in the leather all the time, they have a habbit of showing when you don't want them to)

Here you go jbird.

I can't get into the site. I keep getting an error message saying I'm already a registered user. :(

I can't get into the site. I keep getting an error message saying I'm already a registered user. :(

If you are already a registered user, click here

If you arene't a registered user, you should really sign up. That way Paul will send you an email when new lessons are available. Paul has been having troubles keeping up, but he told me not long ago that a new online lesson should be available very soon. I'll let you all know if I hear more.

I also want to put in another plug for the lessons Paul has available for sale. Paul's lessons are like a college course in leather work. He goes into more detail than any other lessons I have ever seen. He also gives a lot of information on WHY you should do things, not just how. If you study Paul's lessons, you work will go to a new level. He has several lessons available from creatiive stamping to figure carving and coloring.

We are getting new members all the time and a lot of them ask "what can I do to improve my carving?". One of the best things I know that you can do (besides just practice) is check out Paul Burnett's Painting Cow website. Go down to the bottom of the page and click on

the button that says "Free online lessons, click here". Paul has several tutorial online (for FREE) that will really explain a lot of things. These lessons go into detail on things like proper moisture level for each step of leather carving, getting used to your swivel knife, how to "walk" tools, and what Paul calls "pictorial definition". I have described Paul's lessons as being like a college course in leather carving because instead of just telling you what to do, he also explains why. Everyone should sign up for these FREE newsletters. And if you do read them and get something out of them, please send Paul an email and let him know. I sent Paul an email yesterday just to see how things were going and he wrote back that he is working on a new newsletter and tutorial to come out in February. It sounds like Paul might be getting frustrated. Paul has been carving leather for a long time and is one of the true masters of the craft. Be it stamping belts with geometric tools, floral carving, figure carving, portraits, 3-D sculpture, or amazing coloring, Paul does it all. He was the first recipient of the Al Stohlman award, recognizing his excellence in working with leather, and his dedication to teaching others. Paul also offers several "courses" of instruction on his website. If you like his free stuff, you should consider getting one or more of his "home study courses". These lessons take you step by step in great detail on how to improve your leather carving, stamping, or coloring. I've read each and every one several times, and I know your leather work will improve if you study what Paul has to teach you. I know this is starting to sound like an advertisement for Paul, and I guess it is. Thing is, I don't want Paul to stop working on these lessons (free or for sale), thinking people aren't interested. Paul said almost all of his sales in 2008 were due to responses from people reading about his lessons right here on Leatherworker.net. I think it would be awesome if his website got bombarded with hits from people checking out his free lessons. It'd be even better if a few of you like what you see so much you decide to continue your education by purchasing a lesson or two from him.

Hay clay

I clicked on the link and I am registered guy and I didn't get a email this month

Josh

Paul hasn't sent out an email in quite a while, but he said he is working on a new newsletter and tutorial, and that there should be some new stuff up in February. He said he will "explain his situation" in the newsletter.

Same here! Yet I did not receive the latest newsletter via email like I normally do (& yes, I am a registered user...) :whatdoyouthink:

russ

Paul Burnett has posted a newsletter for February2009. In this newsletter, he discusses the future of his free lessons, study courses, future projects, private lesson options, and personal critiques. He also goes through an indepth critique that he has done for Paul Krause on a carving project that Paul submitted. As always, there is a lot of information in this newletter. I hope that you will all check out the latest edition, and give Paul some feedback as he is trying to determine what the best methods for his continued teaching should be.

You can find the latest edition of the newsletter here

Howdy gang

This important and needs are action, Paul is agreat guy and master at his work I have made money from his teaching and others have I now as well, if we do not act his work will die and so will are's it will all die. These are hard times and in these times we must act and act now I have little money but I am willing to part with it for a good cause, he needs help these free lessons should not be free they are a lot of money for him and that's not right it's wrong died wrong, I say we pick someone from this site that he has a relationship with and get a donation fund going. If we let this die one by one all the good people in are work will fall by the way side.

Please think about it we must do something.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I dont think what Paul is looking for is donations (but who'd turn down free money?). I think the best way to make sure Paul can continue to offer these free lessons is to purchase some of his really in depth lessons OR send in something to have him critique it. I have all the lessons he has offered so far, and I know that if you study them, you are going to learn something from each of them, probably a whole lot. Take a look at the critique he did in this latest newsletter. Can you imagine if you could improve your work from the level that Paul Krause is at, to the level that Paul Burnett shows in his work? Having someone like Paul Burnett take a close, objective look at a piece of your work, and point out your strengths and weaknesses and tell you how to fix them has got to be worth way more than the $20 he is charging for that service.

The first home study course I bought from Paul Burnett was way back in the early 80's I think. He had trouble back then getting enough people to sign up to make it profitable for him. He keeps plugging away at it, and keeps trying new ways to get his information out there. I hope that enough people find what he's trying to do of enough value that they will support his efforts, and give him the encouragement he needs to continue.

And for those of you who haven't heard of Paul Krause before, check out his website

ALl I can say is ditto to what Clay has said. I have all of Paul's lessons, books, etc. Like Clay said he gives you a lot of the "Whys". He has a lot of lessons, books and even some projects that you can purchase directly from his site. The first thing that I received from him was the Foundaiton course over 20 years ago. I anxiously awaited the lessons that were supposed to follow but those never surfaced. We discussed it and yes he unfortunately didn't have enough interest generated from the course to continue that particular set. However he has made other lessons available.

Regards,

Ben