Sign in to follow this  
wolvenstien

Can Latigo be tooled and carved?

Can Latigo be tooled and carved? If not, What is used to WATERPROOF vegtan after it is tooled and dyed? I am thinking most about a motorcycle bag that I make that is black (either dyed veg tanned or black latigo) being out in the weather for even a short amount of time.

Well, Pecards or Aussie will protect pretty well and still allow the leather to breathe. They both give a "natural" finish, moreso than acrylics or polyurethane which will seal-up the leather.

Results will not be great tooling latigo, it won't hold an impression that well. Nonetheless I have seen tooled latigo, mostly border stamped.

Art

Can Latigo be tooled and carved? If not, What is used to WATERPROOF vegtan after it is tooled and dyed? I am thinking most about a motorcycle bag that I make that is black (either dyed veg tanned or black latigo) being out in the weather for even a short amount of time.

Art, Is this the Aussie you are refering to: http://www.leatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=2199-00

I cant find anything about Pecards on thier site, and they are the only store I have local.... How is this applied? I have tooled, dried, veg tan leather, I applied a few coats of Neetsfoot Oil, then allowed it to penitrate, then used Tandy Pro Oil Dye (black). Now I need to apply the finish... Is the Aussie a finish that I apply now, or do i apply something else like Resoline, or Carnuba or Balm with Atom Wax then apply the Aussie? ???? How is it applied best? Dobber, Rag, wet sponge?

Also... once it is done, what would the owner of the piece need to do to it to keep it up?

Thanks for the help...

I believe the reference is to Aussie Wax. I use it all the time, and it's a good waterproofer. It's kind of like a Vaseline consistency. I take globs of it on my fingers (with or without gloves), spread it over the project, and use a clean rag to wipe it in and get off the excess. I've also used a hair dryer on low setting to help warm/melt the wax to make it easier to rub.

You can get it from Tandy too.

Hi,

You have the right link for aussie also:

http://www.pecard.com/store.php?crn=213&rn...ion=show_detail

for the pecard product.

Apply the Pecard's with your fingers (it is not toxic) not real heavy and just rub it in. Leave in a warm place for a day or two to let the leather absorb the pecards. If the leather is very dry it might need a second coat but this is the exception rather than the rule. After dry, buff with a soft cloth or brush. An application lasts a long time, over a year in most cases. I used to give the customer a 1oz pack of Pecard's but some of them decided that a once a week application wouldn't hurt....wrong. Now I don't give them anything to apply. Overapplication of any oil, dressing, or conditioner is all too common and the only repair that works for that condition is time.

Art

Art, Is this the Aussie you are refering to: http://www.leatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=2199-00

I cant find anything about Pecards on thier site, and they are the only store I have local.... How is this applied? I have tooled, dried, veg tan leather, I applied a few coats of Neetsfoot Oil, then allowed it to penitrate, then used Tandy Pro Oil Dye (black). Now I need to apply the finish... Is the Aussie a finish that I apply now, or do i apply something else like Resoline, or Carnuba or Balm with Atom Wax then apply the Aussie? ???? How is it applied best? Dobber, Rag, wet sponge?

Also... once it is done, what would the owner of the piece need to do to it to keep it up?

Thanks for the help...

I bought and applied the Aussie at Tandy today.... I did not apply a finish...

Veg Tan, tooled, and left to dry, applied neetsfoot oil on both sides, and then allowed to penetrate fro a few hours, then applied Pro Oil Dye, allowed to penetrate, bought the Aussie today and applied it to the leather, and buffed it. The guy at tandy told me when I asked him if it would waterproof the leather, he said, about the only thing that will waterproof leather is vasiline... LOL, then I showed him where on the lable of the Aussie jar it says "waterproof" and he said that it was like Vasiline but had bees wax and some other stuff in it.....

I applied the Aussie to the leather using a piece of sheeps whool.

I believe the reference is to Aussie Wax. I use it all the time, and it's a good waterproofer. It's kind of like a Vaseline consistency. I take globs of it on my fingers (with or without gloves), spread it over the project, and use a clean rag to wipe it in and get off the excess. I've also used a hair dryer on low setting to help warm/melt the wax to make it easier to rub.

You can get it from Tandy too.

i just did a comparison among Aussie wax, Pecards, and Feibing's Liquid Mink oil. One application only. Ausssie Wax is the best for waterproofing hands down. I'll post pics later.

I'm now on the hunt for the lowest price, so that I can include a couple of ounces with each leather bag sale.

By the way, what about something like sno-seal? I haven't tried it, but I have had a customer ask if it was ok to use on the bag.

Ed

I use Montana Pitch blend for waterproofing. I like it and it smells like Christmas. I believe it's a combination of pine pitch, mink oil and beeswax.