ninnies

Braiding stampede strings

Hello everyone

I have recently started braiding, at the moment I have only done round and flat plaits with hayband.

But i would like to have a go at plaiting some stampede strings out of leather.

So i was wondering what is the width of string most people make these out of and how do most people make the buttons?

Do you make them on a mandrel then slide them on? Or do you make a basic knot on the string and then plait over it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Edited by ninnies

Since your in the "land downunder" roo hide is probably pretty esy to come by. I'd cut my strings about 3/32" and do a 4 plait. For the sliding knot, I'd do a leather colar then braid over it.

I use 1/8" 4 plait and make the knots directly on the piece. However, the string on this one is cut slightly larger because the guy that ordered it wanted something a bit thicker.

stampede1.jpg

stampede2.jpg

Here's one I finished up not long ago. I cut the strings 1/16th and used a eight strand braid. I'm fixing to do another one with the same size strings and # of strands.

Mike

img-resized.png Reduced 96%IMG_1256.JPG 1536 x 2048 (390.86K)img-resized.png Reduced 96%IMG_1257.JPG 1536 x 2048 (396.05K)img-resized.png Reduced 96%IMG_1259.JPG<script type=text/javascript> // <script type=text/javascript> // img-resized.png Reduced 96%IMG_1258.JPG 2048 x 1536 (405.77K)<script type=text/javascript> //

I use 1/8" 4 plait and make the knots directly on the piece. However, the string on this one is cut slightly larger because the guy that ordered it wanted something a bit thicker.

stampede1.jpg

stampede2.jpg

Holy Cow this is nice!! So.....this is 4 plait without a core I'm assuming? The two long knots, pineapple again I'm assuming but how do you get the one particular knot to taper..which side of the string did you bevel in this particular case?

Well thank you! The buttons take the shape of what's under them. This pineapple button has an 8 string terminal knot under so it just naturally tapers. The flesh side is beveled.

I have to say though I like rawhide's more than I like mine. Mine is a nice stampede string, his is art.

Well thank you! The buttons take the shape of what's under them. This pineapple button has an 8 string terminal knot under so it just naturally tapers. The flesh side is beveled.

I have to say though I like rawhide's more than I like mine. Mine is a nice stampede string, his is art.

I'd say they are both pretty damn nice!

Thank you!

hey thanks for tips guys.

Rawhide1 and Entiendo, both your strings are fantastic.

I'll post mine up when i get the leather and make them.

So do most of you cut your own string? I think it would be best for me to buy some this time as I don't

have the equipment or the experience to cut them yet.

I cut my own and have been doing so since I started braiding. The equipment is key!! I tried an aussie strander...no luck. I tried a homemade designed someone shared with me, more luck than the strander but still not so good. Then I bought a good cutter and have wasted little string since. It even came with roo hide cutting instructions!

The string is nice though and it will give you an opportunity to see if you really enjoy braiding.