Sign in to follow this  
busted

How Much Is It Worth?

I was out rummaging two weeks ago looking for leather working stuff. I found an elderly gentleman who has been doing harness and leather work since forever he is around 80. He showed me some of the machines he has and what is for sale and what is not for sale. I did manage to buy a number 7 singer from him, no table but all of the original accessories bobbin winder, motor and clutch, 3 or 4 different needle sizes. He did not want to sell his #3 Landis nor the Patcher all sorts of hand tools. And buried beneath a 3 foot tall pile of leather and stuff from the shop is a wooden box. He told me he bought it from government surplus he had 3 and sold one and has the other 2 in his shop. The box contains a stitching pony from the US Army Calvary Division. It is new in the box does anyone have an idea of the value of this stitching horse? I don't know what wood is used in its construction.

I was out rummaging two weeks ago looking for leather working stuff. I found an elderly gentleman who has been doing harness and leather work since forever he is around 80. He showed me some of the machines he has and what is for sale and what is not for sale. I did manage to buy a number 7 singer from him, no table but all of the original accessories bobbin winder, motor and clutch, 3 or 4 different needle sizes. He did not want to sell his #3 Landis nor the Patcher all sorts of hand tools. And buried beneath a 3 foot tall pile of leather and stuff from the shop is a wooden box. He told me he bought it from government surplus he had 3 and sold one and has the other 2 in his shop. The box contains a stitching pony from the US Army Calvary Division. It is new in the box does anyone have an idea of the value of this stitching horse? I don't know what wood is used in its construction.

I would contact Bob Douglas. I have seen some Calvary era leather tools in his stuff for sale but I never saw a stitching horse. He will be at the Wickenburg show this week I would think.

Edited by rickybobby

I would get in touch with www.militaryhorse.org

/ Knut

I know Bob has had the boxes before in the past. Are the tools in the box or just the horse? Most of these have had the tools removed and just the box that makes into a horse. Still kind of cool. I passed on one at a military collectible shop with just the horse at $400. He said he usually gets them sold for $375-450 depending on condition. He told me he sold one with all the tools in it for $1800.

I think I somewhere have a list of the tools that your box should hold. I´ll look around for it and get back to you when / if I can find it

/ Knut