Sign in to follow this  
rgepting

Vintage Osborn Vs New Osborn Strap Cutter

Im not looking into collecting Vintage osborn tools, but do have a question. I need a good quaility strap cutter . Ive seen new osborn strap cutters for $70 and vintage in good shape for around $100 to $150. Is there a difference? I just want to buy the best strap cutter for the money. Any sugestions. Thanks Richard

IMHO it has more to do with a sharp blade than anything.

Check out Bruce Johnson. He's a regular member here and I have bought several blades form him. Great guy, sells excellant tools and they come sharp and ready to use.

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/

While the blade does make a huge difference, the shape of the draw gauge also makes a big difference. At least it does to me. The newer all metal style dont have enough sweep to the handle away from the leather you are cutting. This means the handle can get in the way, no matter how you twist it. The old brass and wood handled draw gauge I have has a lot of sweep out away from the leather, allowing you to get complete contact with the guide in the manner it was designed, making your cuts straight and full width.

Hope that makes sense