KalL

Which Side Is Which On A Snake Skin?

This is going to be a really stupid question but how do you know which side is which on a snake skin? I just got some dried snake skin in the mail and I wanted to tan it but I'm having a hard time determining which is the flesh side and which is the outside. Is the outside the side with the more distinct color? On one of the skins I got the smooth side is brighter and the rougher side is faded, but on another one it's reversed...

The outer surface should have the snakes natural scales still on it (just like a fish does). If it ain't got the scales then there ain't much you can do with with it.

That's what I thought but I didn't feel any scales on some of them. I didn't know if that was due to the type of snake they are supposed to be. I'll take some pictures and post them up.

I tried to post up some pictures but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I did figure it out though once I put the tanning solution on, the scales started coming up some.

Sounds like you got it now.

Here's hoping. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rest of the scales off once it's done tanning. They have been stretching on a board with the tanning solution since friday night so they should be ready soon.

The scales are what makes the snakeskin have the bold character that it does. Just imagine doing the same thing to a fish. Every notice how colorful and vibrant some of those Rainbow Trout are and then you remove all of the scales and now you are left with a pale looking piece of meat.

So your not supposed to flake the scales off? From what I read your supposed to or they come off when you finish your project? I started flaking one off tonight and it does look a little different.

Edited by KalL

If it wasn't for the scales it wouldn't be a snake skin. You don't want to remove them. That's what adds the beauty to the skin. Cheryl

Thank you for the input, but now I'm thoroughly confused, lol. So if your supposed to leave them on why do all those threads I read say to take them off? And what can you put on them to keep them from flaking off? Here's a good question while I'm thinking about it, will tan kote work for it?

Just to clarify, Yes, you do remove the clear scales off the skin. A spoon does the trick nicely. If you leave them on, they will flake off over time and look pretty gnarly and get everywhere. I have never heard of anyone leaving those on.

20141122_220454_zpsos9zpve8.jpg

I flaked mine off but it doesn't look as nice as yours.I'm still experimenting with them. I tried an eraser, air compressor, brush, and a rag. It seems they don't loosen up unless they are damp for some reason. I must be doing something wrong...

Edited by KalL

I have been doing this trade for over 40 years and have never been taught nor even heard of removing the scales from a snakeskin. The scales are what gives you the true vibrancy of the pattern and gives the finished the product the authenticity that a consumer wants when spending the money that you do for a real snakeskin item. Furthermore, a professionally tanned snakeskin has never lost any of the scales, at the least the ones that I use haven't. The biggest problem here is those home tanners who do snakeskin's that they have harvested locally and use the home method which is just short of embalming which dries out the skin and causes the scales to flake off. If you are going to make something with snakeskin then bite the bullet and pay for a professionally tanned skin, otherwise you will end up with a sad looking piece of snakeskin that has no real character.

Furthermore, a professionally tanned snakeskin has never lost any of the scales, at the least the ones that I use haven't.

NV Leather Worx, where do you buy rattlesnake skins? I buy at tandy and they flake like crazy.

If you are purchasing rattlesnake skins from Tandy then you are buying a product that is not part of their company inventory. Tandy Leather only sells Python skins and I have never had an issue with the scales coming off. One little trick that I picked up years ago was to seal the finish (in this case the scales) by applying a top coat sealant; I use the Clear-Lac from LCI and I make sure that it gets under the scales so it acts like a glue.

However, I have found that it is a common practice to use snakeskin as if it were a main material, it is intended to be used as an inlay material only.

I purchase my snakeskin from Springfield Leather.

Edited by NVLeatherWorx

If you are purchasing rattlesnake skins from Tandy then you are buying a product that is not part of their company inventory. Tandy Leather only sells Python skins and I have never had an issue with the scales coming off. One little trick that I picked up years ago was to seal the finish (in this case the scales) by applying a top coat sealant; I use the Clear-Lac from LCI and I make sure that it gets under the scales so it acts like a glue.

However, I have found that it is a common practice to use snakeskin as if it were a main material, it is intended to be used as an inlay material only.

I purchase my snakeskin from Springfield Leather.

I use the same neat-lac well clear-lac method as well, and it works pretty good. I live about 30 minutes from Tandys warehouse in Fort Worth and they keep a stock of rattlesnake skins there. They are even in the sale flyers they send me sometimes. I haven't bought from Tandy in a few years so mabye they've quit. I do believe they're listed in the older catalogs I have. Thanks for the Springfield tip. By the way I was browseing thru the picture gallery the other day and your work is really good. Troy

They quit doing rattlesnake quite awhile back; however, the local stores do have the ability to purchase special items from local trappers/tanners so if they are still available then that is how. My local store deals with one of the Native American Tribes in my area for Coyote skins but they only do it when someone comes in and requests the special order. The nice thing about Springfield Leather is that they also carry a few other snake skins such as Cobra (with the head still attached; makes an awesome finished item if used right) and other unique skins.

And thank you for your kind words on my works.

My snake skin boots have the scales on, I don't do any work with snake (yet) but the boots where over 425. and made by known boot maker, who has passed on now but boots are around still.(over 15 years old probably)