Hi guys.

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a cheap tooling side from Tandy & a couple of eco flo pro water stains.

This is the first time I've worked with unfinished leather & boy was it a steep learning curve!

This is a purse/long wallet I made for my better half. I used the belly section... Won't do that again! Also I had no idea plain veg tan would be so hard to keep clean!

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/redochreforest/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10

Sorry its a link but the forum won't let me upload from my tablet & I can't use a PC.

I would love any pointers on improving the design... I know I need to improve my edging & stitching skills.

Thank you,

Andy

When I clicked on your link, I got the message "This Album is Private".

Karina

Hi Karina, thank you for letting me know... I hate technology. It should be fixed now.

hey for a first project it looks good. Practice... try looking on you tube for Ian Atkinson... he has great tutorials like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0EL7K2NhYs

or Nigel Armitage

both are amazing leatherworkers...

Hi biglew,

Thank you for the videos but they are ones I've watched many many times & this definitely not my first project....

The stitching was straight until I burnished the edge but because I used the belly it kind of squished which I really wasn't expecting.

sorry about that I read you said you finally bit the bullet and thought 1 st project.... Yeah I am still a novice but sometime I do a little edge finishing and then sew and lastly rework the edge

Sorry biglew I just read over my post and it came out a little short..It wasn't meant too. So I apolagise.

Thank you for taking the time to post a link for the videos. Nige in particular is an outstanding leather worker, I actually purchased his wallet pack, very well presented.

yes I thought about trying one of those ...just haven't gotten around to it

Red I think it looks great except you used too big of an awl or something because you can see your sewing holes and they should have closed. I just looked again and it's looks like maybe you used a machine? Either way do you drill out your holes first? Cause that removes the leather and it can't reclose. No matter what you did I think it's a lovely project and I love the tan with the 'sienna' color. I'm sure your wife loves it. Cheryl

Hi cheryl .

I used a goods Japan stitching chisel & I don't know what I did wrong to keep the holes open. Its 8 spi and I used 0.8mm white tiger thread.

I'm guessing its either I punched too hard or its because I used super Sheene before stitching. Possibly it could be because the pro stain doesn't penetrate very deep.

I don't think the holes are too big though because the needles where actually difficult to get through.

I would never drill a hole for stitching... Surely that would weaken the leather? Also not a sewing machine in sight... I must be doing something wrong if my stitching looks machine done!

Hi Red. You didn't do anything wrong, that would be a compliment in a way. And the holes are suppose to be so small the needle is difficult to pull through. I'm wondering if it's just the angle oh the light on the picture or can you see your holes too? Cheryl