Sign in to follow this  
hokka

Is It Possible To Recolor (Dye Or Paint?) A Purchased Handbag?

i have a handbag in purpley color that has some discoloration on the back; I bought it for a very low price because of this. i don't love the color and wanted to dye it black and went to a cobbler but they wanted more $ than i originally paid for it, so i started doing some research and found this website.

so, hello!

is it possible to dye this bag black on my own without using an acrylic paint or something like a self-shine dye by tarrago (which i'm afraid will feel too plasticky), without rubbing off or dyeing whatever i am wearing black? what products would i use? i have a ton of time and patience this upcoming week (on vacation!) and would love to start!

the bag is essentially a flat rectangle, about 11 inches by 8 inches. i don't know much about the leather except that someone told me it was cow.

thanks in advance!

IF YOU TRY TO DYE THE BAG WITH BLACK DYE THERE IS A 99.99% CHANCE THE DYE WILL RUB OFF ON YOUR CLOTHES......DO YOU LIKE TO GAMBLE?

NOW LET HIM COLOR IT. HE WILL USE AN ACYLRIC BLACK SPRAY TO DO IT WITH.

OR IF YOU STILL WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE USE "MAJIX SHOE SPRAY" AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS

TO A T..........I M H O P...

IF YOU TRY TO DYE THE BAG WITH BLACK DYE THERE IS A 99.99% CHANCE THE DYE WILL RUB OFF ON YOUR CLOTHES......DO YOU LIKE TO GAMBLE?

NOW LET HIM COLOR IT. HE WILL USE AN ACYLRIC BLACK SPRAY TO DO IT WITH.

OR IF YOU STILL WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE USE "MAJIX SHOE SPRAY" AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS

TO A T..........I M H O P...

thank you for your reply! i guess acrylics are the way to go.

I've changed the color of a bag for someone only once before. I used deglazer, which you can purchase at Tandy, to remove any sealer or finish that might prevent the new dye from applying evenly. Then I applied the black oil dye and let it dry thoroughly. I apply as many coats as necessary for an even finish. Make sure to use oil dye, which is also available at Tandy. Once the dye has dried the real work begins, The bag must be buffed thoroughly, using several different clean cloths or towels. I use old tshirts and such, Keep buffing until the dye stops coming off on the cloth. this can take some time but, eventually, will happen. After this, I apply some type of flexible finish or sealer like super or satin shene, aussie wax or some other type of leather dressing.

The materials will probably cost around $20. Along with the time it takes, it might be worth the money to pay someone to do it.

I have only changed the color of a bag once, from brown to black, and I have not heard back that the dye had rubbed off. I do make plenty of black motorcycle seats using this method with no crocking whatsoever. Just be sure to use the oil dye and not the regular leather dye, which will rub off no matter what you do. I hope this helps and goodluck.

John

I've changed the color of a bag for someone only once before. I used deglazer, which you can purchase at Tandy, to remove any sealer or finish that might prevent the new dye from applying evenly. Then I applied the black oil dye and let it dry thoroughly. I apply as many coats as necessary for an even finish. Make sure to use oil dye, which is also available at Tandy. Once the dye has dried the real work begins, The bag must be buffed thoroughly, using several different clean cloths or towels. I use old tshirts and such, Keep buffing until the dye stops coming off on the cloth. this can take some time but, eventually, will happen. After this, I apply some type of flexible finish or sealer like super or satin shene, aussie wax or some other type of leather dressing.

The materials will probably cost around $20. Along with the time it takes, it might be worth the money to pay someone to do it.

I have only changed the color of a bag once, from brown to black, and I have not heard back that the dye had rubbed off. I do make plenty of black motorcycle seats using this method with no crocking whatsoever. Just be sure to use the oil dye and not the regular leather dye, which will rub off no matter what you do. I hope this helps and goodluck.

John

thanks, john.

i just have one quick question. if i use the oil dye and buff really really well, and i apply some sort of sealer afterwards, would it be normal to see any of the black coming off with the sealant (at least on teh first coat)?

thanks for the info.

Hokka,

As a finish I usually use Pecards, Aussie wax or neutral shoe polish. I use my hands to apply it and rub it in pretty well and end up with some black on my fingertips, so, yes I guess it is normal. when the final finish is dry be sure to buff it again.