I've had one critiqe so far, maybe I'll get more here?

Vikefan

post-7178-019496700 1282463856_thumb.jpg

post-7178-006773200 1282463872_thumb.jpg

post-7178-047294300 1282463884_thumb.jpg

post-7178-005476900 1282463901_thumb.jpg

post-7178-017498700 1282463924_thumb.jpg

Vikefan

Looking over your project, I think you've done a great job!

Stitching is nice and straight. Could use a LITTLE more work burnishing the edges but better than average. The only thing I could suggest would be to leave yourself a border. That texture looks great with a nice smooth border!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Looking over your project, I think you've done a great job!

Stitching is nice and straight. Could use a LITTLE more work burnishing the edges but better than average. The only thing I could suggest would be to leave yourself a border. That texture looks great with a nice smooth border!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you for your advice... I will try to incorporate it in future projects.

Vikefan

Vikefan

Vikefan, I agree that a border would make the end product look more 'finished'. It would enhance your texture work and allow it to stand out even more. I (just a personal preference) would try to shape the sheath a little closer to the blade shape, but that would have no bearing on actual quality of the work nor it's utility. JMHO Mike

I think overall the quality is good, but I'm not crazy about the design.That style is typical of cheaper production knife sheaths and that type of retention strap is good for getting in the way and getting cut.

The other problem is with a fat handled knife such as that is unless you wedge out the mouth of the sheath you get the bent belt loop syndrome.My suggestion for that knife would be a full pouch sheath

or a modified pouch with strap and use a seperate belt loop.Dave

Modified pouch with strap example

irondam3.jpg

Full pouch

dobson1.jpg

I think overall the quality is good, but I'm not crazy about the design.That style is typical of cheaper production knife sheaths and that type of retention strap is good for getting in the way and getting cut.

The other problem is with a fat handled knife such as that is unless you wedge out the mouth of the sheath you get the bent belt loop syndrome.My suggestion for that knife would be a full pouch sheath

or a modified pouch with strap and use a seperate belt loop.Dave

Modified pouch with strap example

irondam3.jpg

Full pouch

dobson1.jpg

I like your suggestions (two very nice examples). Are picture examples your own work? LOVE THEM!

I made the sheath to my customers specifications as that was the type of retaining strap he wanted; he was happy with it.

As for the belt loop getting bent; I made it out of very substantial leather (two thicknesses); I don't think it will bend much unless it gets sopping wet.

Edited by Vikefan

Yes ,those are two of my sheaths.You can click on my website and see more if you like and feel free to contact me if you need any help.Dave