Sign in to follow this  
curtis k

Pan Handle Leather Crappy Leather Warning

I rarely post anything on any forum but thought I would put the word out about this. I recently bought an import double shoulder from Panhandle Leather. Now, I have bought import leather (south American) from them in the past and it has been good stuff. But, I am warning everyone, DO NOT buy any import leather from them! This is THE crappiest stuff I have ever purchased in 25 years of leather working. It is a 5/6 oz. and has the feel and appearance of an alum tanned hide. It is freaking horrible! I don’t know about you all but I do try to spend my money wisely. I did contact them to let them know about the hide. Apparently if I had not cut it I could have returned it. Wow, how in the heck does one figure out if it aint any good?J Not a rant, just a warning. Well, maybe a bit of a rant. Curtis

UPDATE

I got a call from Jim at Panhandle Leather today. He was very understanding and was not aware of the issues with the import leather. The leather is being replaced.

I really think it would be a good idea if all of us would be a lot better off if we would work with a supplier and give that supplier to make things right before we go to bad mouthing them on any forum. I know Jim Blaine pretty good and the guys that work there pretty well too. Better bunch of people I have never worked with. They are honest and good to do business with. You purchased a low end product and part of being a low end product is there is not really good quality control. If you have never been to Panhandle Leather, you can not imagine how much leather they ship out of there. I have gotten poor leather from about every supplier I have ever used. Some will try to make it right and some don't care. Panhandle leather does care and takes care of their customers. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

I only get my leather from them, and IMHO they are the best I live in far east,and they never late to deliver the hides and they always send me the best without choosing the hides by my self.

for the record Ken I did call and was brushed off. After I sent an email to the company I was then contacted by Jim. As for bad mouthing the company, if you had read my post in an unbiased way you would have found that it was not bad mouthing the company but rather a warning to folks on this site about PHL's current stock of import leather. I have been using import (south American) leather for many years (from PHL too) and this was the first time I have ever gotten anything that was this low in quality. In fact, I really doubt if it did come from S. America. As you stated "...some make it right and some don't care.", well I reckon on my initial call I got one of the "don't care" crowd.

I get my HO from them. I am actually surprised I dont here much about them on this forum. Maybe its because its mostly leather and not a lot of other stuff.?? I have always had a good experience. When people dont care much about customer saticefaction its probably for a lot of possible reasons some of which may be because itbis a cheaper item for reason. Much be it, they have tobpay for it to. Some times I heaitate on sale stuff even. Although you would think one would have a sale to promote business some places seem to have sales to get rid of the junk. I feel tandy does that often. Panhandles HO leather seems to be good stuff. Yet, I havnt tried many others simply because I like theirs. Not sure on what gradevits supposed to be. I do wonder why thebpricevisbso goodbin compared to somebother stores. Anyone know?