Suze

Do you think I can make these?

Ok I don't know how to get the pics on this forum but here are some links to some leather cupboard knobs that I found "intresting"

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-prod...php?p_ref=14065

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-prod...php?p_ref=14047

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-prod...php?p_ref=13966

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-prod...php?p_ref=13964

Johanna told me to post these to see what you all had to say about the "pricing" I found them a bit on the "high side"

I am going to be redoing my kitchen and was trolling around on Hardware Hut site to see what was out there in the way of knobs. and boy did I get a shock at some of the pricing

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-prod...hp?p_ref=188202 this one is almost $900.00 -- I need 38 - yep lets's just jump on that one ...

PS if someone want to put the pics up - go for it - I am a hopeless noob at this forum stuff.....

Johanna's cousin Susie

Come on Suze, dont exagerate. They only list for $875 and didn't you see the sale price? $874.91 How can you pass up a deal like that?????

Come on Suze, dont exagerate. They only list for $875 and didn't you see the sale price? $874.91 How can you pass up a deal like that?????

It's hard -- >grin< It's that 91 cents that is the dealbreaker Just too much. Now if they were $874.00 I would order them in a heartbeat.

(I really do like them - I think they would look "neat" on the cupboards - but the cost of them is about HALF of what the WHOLE HOUSE is worth.)

WHO BUYS THESE THINGS?

It's hard -- >grin< It's that 91 cents that is the dealbreaker Just too much. Now if they were $874.00 I would order them in a heartbeat.

(I really do like them - I think they would look "neat" on the cupboards - but the cost of them is about HALF of what the WHOLE HOUSE is worth.)

WHO BUYS THESE THINGS?

People with more money (and nicer kitchens) than me, clearly! You know what I'd do, though, is take those pictures to a blacksmith and see what he could do, using those as inspiration. They still wouldn't be cheap (unless you get inspired to make them yourself), but they wouldn't be nearly $900 each, either.

People with more money (and nicer kitchens) than me, clearly! You know what I'd do, though, is take those pictures to a blacksmith and see what he could do, using those as inspiration. They still wouldn't be cheap (unless you get inspired to make them yourself), but they wouldn't be nearly $900 each, either.

I know blacksmiths (I'm SCA - It's ok I'm only part insane)

But I really do want to know if it is possiable for a newbie leather worker (me) to make something like the first links.

I'm sure I could get Johanna to help me out

Hey Suze, Wade and I will make the leather covered cupboard pulls for a good price....like maybe only $150 each. :rofl:

Seriously, if I had that market to sell them, I would be sewing the doggone things every night. Cost of materials? Less than $2. Time spent? not much. The leather strap pulls are almost comical, if they weren't getting the prices. Anyone on this board could make 38 of them in less than a day out of the scrap bin. People with sewing machines could make them faster. I loved the delivery time, too- 6-8 weeks. That tells me they don't sell many, so they don't keep an inventory, and someone, maybe someone from this board, gets a call and says "some lady wants 38 in tan" and prob pays the leatherworker $5 each for them. I wish I were kidding.

Love, your cuz,

Johanna

THANKS CUZ - I love you too

from the site

This knob from Turnstyle Designs is individually hand stitched by master harness makers, using only the finest English vegetable tanned leathers and bees waxed linen thread. The leather is stitched over stainless steel frames and all edges are carefully sealed.

But they are made by MASTER HARNESS MAKERS --Oh boy. Add $150

:jawdropper:

That's just ridiculous.....but hey, if they can get that kind of money for those scraps.....and since fools and their money are soon parted.....

As far as the $900 stuff....I say go down to the hardware store and pick up a roll of #6 ground wire (bare copper) and some 'weld nuts' (kinda like a t-nut but with no prongs), twist and beat it with a hammer, solder on the weld-nuts, splash it with vinegar, and let it sit outside for a week. Presto! Hand crafted 'antique' copper pulls. The nice thing is that annealed copper is work hardening, so it'll hold shape.

:jawdropper:

That's just ridiculous.....but hey, if they can get that kind of money for those scraps.....and since fools and their money are soon parted.....

As far as the $900 stuff....I say go down to the hardware store and pick up a roll of #6 ground wire (bare copper) and some 'weld nuts' (kinda like a t-nut but with no prongs), twist and beat it with a hammer, solder on the weld-nuts, splash it with vinegar, and let it sit outside for a week. Presto! Hand crafted 'antique' copper pulls. The nice thing is that annealed copper is work hardening, so it'll hold shape.

WELL NOW that is more my speed - I really haven't messed with leather but give me wire and a hammer....

My SCA name is Mariassa of Ashgrove and If I could pull off two of those 900.00 jobs, they would look just "right" on the cupboards flanking the sink.

I think I might even have some 12 gage wire in the basement (I have just about everything in the basement) Only I would have to burn or scrap the coating off of it to "antique" it.

Hmmmm - must look in basement.

WHO BUYS THESE THINGS?

People with more money than sense!

Wow, I'd be glad to make the leather handles all day for half that price!!!

But speaking of copper handles.........here are a couple of pics of some copper pulls I made for a desk, that I also made.

They are really easy to make, go to the do it yourself store and get the heavies uncoated copper ground wire they have, bring it home and use a vise, vise grips, screwdrivers, pliers or whatever and twist them how you want them. Now throw them in the fireplace, wood stove, bbq grill or whatever until they are read hot. take them out (with pliers, duh!) and beat them flat on an anvil and bend the curve into the handle. Quench them in water or beer or whatever. (quenching adds some cool colors too)

I used some copper nails I have to mount them. I just clinched the nails so they wouldn't pull out.

Here is the result. They are pretty rustic though.

Tim

edit: I've also made some with a closed loop at the top that came out cool.......and I have made hooks for a coat rack the same way.

handles1.jpg

handles2.jpg

post-5218-1231380979_thumb.jpg

post-5218-1231380991_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timbo

Timbo - now THAT I could do - have done (sort of, Whe you are "building" a haunted house, you would be amazed at what you can come up with)

Just wait - I may have a more "custom" kitchen that I had first thought.

I am planning on painting the cupboard doors a parchment color and doing some sponge painting on them (to look more like parchement) and doing some decortive paint work on them

the hardware hut site also has "dummy strap hinges" and I looked at them and thought STENCIL

Those first ones should be fairly easy to make. Take a piece of strap iron, around 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick or probably less. Cut to length. Bend the round into the handle over a piece of pipe the right size. Even a piece of heavy PVC pipe ought to work. Then stick it in a vice and bend the ends straight, or you could probably do this with a pair of pliers. Drill holes in the ends. You might want to coat the metal with lacquer so it wont stain your leather if you dampen it.

Then cut strips of leather making allowances for the froming and stitching. Wet the leather, form it around metal. Apply Barge or other contact cement to hold the leather in place. Stitch around the edges, trim, finish the edges. Punch a hole in the leather matching the holes in the metal. Pick out some screw back conchos that you like and get some of the drawer pull adapters for them and you should be all set.

Well now I am trying to imagine your kitchen once you installed

38 $900 handles that are 15 inches long. I believe you would have

a funny looking kitchen unless you are the size of the jolly green

giant. I believe they are selling these more as a piece of sculpture

not something mass produced. There are people out there who

will pay for quality and I believe there are at least two leather

workers on this site who will tell you that to some money is no

object. I do believe it was on this site where a guy said he sold

a belt for 16 grand. I have never priced anything from Peter Main

but I am guessing it is not cheap.When I see things like this I do

not think wow that is high priced. I think one day I will be getting

those prices for my work.

WINDY

the sad thing Windy is that with the "odd sizes" of the cupboards in the kitchen, a fifteen inch piece would not look too bad. It would fill up less than half of the door top to bottom.

and before you say anything about that - My Dad built all the cupboards in the kitchen and they are NOT standard size doors. Mom and Dad built the house themselves and we have some very "odd" arrangements of things. So either I buy all new cupboards or I "see what I can do with what Dad built. (ANd I can't afford to remove and replace the whole kitchen.

They would def be a statement though.

Opps forgot to say that I am a crafter myself (dollhouse minutures-You want to talk expensive? Not much in material costs but the time involved) but I still see those prices and think "rip off" Sort of like those Longenberger baskets - I know people who make the same style basket and for about half of the price of those other ones. And they are better made too. But the Longenberger people have convinced us that these will be worth tons of money someday because of the name on the bottom,

I will buy a hand crafted item over storebought any day. And pay well for it. But I look at these and wonder just HOW they manage to sell them.

Edited by Suze

WELL NOW that is more my speed - I really haven't messed with leather but give me wire and a hammer....

My SCA name is Mariassa of Ashgrove and If I could pull off two of those 900.00 jobs, they would look just "right" on the cupboards flanking the sink.

I think I might even have some 12 gage wire in the basement (I have just about everything in the basement) Only I would have to burn or scrap the coating off of it to "antique" it.

Hmmmm - must look in basement.

Hello, I'm Lady Tasha Medvedeva from Canton of the Towers in the East -- maybe we'll meet at Pennsic!

I'm pretty fond of Krylon Hammered Finish spray paint. I used it on some outlet plates and now they look like hammered iron if you don't look too close. :-D

You know you're a SCAdian when your house is half-finished, because every time you go to the home store you come away muttering to yourself, "I could make that..."

I think that must have been a typo, because the price I'm seeing now is on the order of $90. Still, that's pretty steep, considering no more than it is. I still sometimes wonder if I'm in the wrong business...

Kate

I think that must have been a typo, because the price I'm seeing now is on the order of $90. Still, that's pretty steep, considering no more than it is. I still sometimes wonder if I'm in the wrong business...

Kate

I'm still seeing the metal pull at $874.91.

Maybe try re-loading the page? The page you're seeing may have been saved by your web browser from a previous load.

Kate

Kate,

the pulls in the first link, leather covered metal were around $90. The metal pulls in the last link were the ones that were $875. But in their defense, it looked to me like it was a set of 8 pairs of pulls for that price.

Hello, I'm Lady Tasha Medvedeva from Canton of the Towers in the East -- maybe we'll meet at Pennsic!

I'm pretty fond of Krylon Hammered Finish spray paint. I used it on some outlet plates and now they look like hammered iron if you don't look too close. :-D

You know you're a SCAdian when your house is half-finished, because every time you go to the home store you come away muttering to yourself, "I could make that..."

Maybe - I am planning on going this year (it will be my first) I will be camping in Barony Flaming Gryphon down by Runestone Hill

Yes - I am from the "enemy camp" (I belong to the Middle Kingdom)

Oh yes - I should have tattoed on my hand

YES, WE KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT - BUT WHEN?

There aren't too many crafts that I haven't tried at least once.

Maybe try re-loading the page? The page you're seeing may have been saved by your web browser from a previous load.

Kate

Did that, thinking the same thing. Still $875.ish.

Maybe - I am planning on going this year (it will be my first) I will be camping in Barony Flaming Gryphon down by Runestone Hill

Yes - I am from the "enemy camp" (I belong to the Middle Kingdom)

Oh yes - I should have tattoed on my hand

YES, WE KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT - BUT WHEN?

There aren't too many crafts that I haven't tried at least once.

Didn't you hear? We're only enemies for part of the War this year -- there will be at least one battle where the East and the Mid unite against the Allies. I hope there's a breeze that day, or the testosterone fumes will kill us all. Bring comfy walking shoes; Runestone Hill is STEEP. I'm infinitely grateful that my camp snapped up a chunk of the Battlefield camping area when it came open. It's quiet, yet fairly handy to the merchants, and we have great water pressure.

If you do decide to make those leather pulls, I hope you'll post pics! I'm kind of tempted to make some myself.

Kate,

the pulls in the first link, leather covered metal were around $90. The metal pulls in the last link were the ones that were $875. But in their defense, it looked to me like it was a set of 8 pairs of pulls for that price.

No that is just for one pull the "collection" is 8 different pulls.... But even if it was eight pulls that is still $100.00 each!