Sign in to follow this  
particle

Saddle Holster

My boss came to me a while back and asked me if I could make a holster for his new S&W Governor .45. He had something specific in mind - he needed something that could easily clip onto his saddle, and didn't have any need for a belt slot. My first design incorporated the belt slot, but when I brought him the paper template to try and sell him on the idea (basically a western holster with the clip/buckle also included), he said he didn't really think he'd ever carry it, so he asked me to remove it. He's the boss (literally)! This was my first time with vinegaroon - I think it came out pretty well overall.

smugshot6549622-L.jpg

smugshot8992209-L.jpg

Looks good! I like the strap on it. I just got an order for a S&W .500 and was thinking of using a hammer strap with the snap on the front like that.

My only concern might be with the snap ring attachment piece breaking over time.

Yeah - I stressed over that snap attachment for a while, and in the end this was the best I could come up with. I was trying to make it match (for the most part) the design of another holster he has for his blank pistol (for competitive field trails with his bird dogs). The other holster used copper rivets, but I didn't want to mess with that (and I don't have any of that stuff). I ended up going with a 5/8" strap, folded over and sewn. It's a pretty solid connection so far.

Looking back at it, there's no reason I couldn't have extended the attachment point further south to allow for a larger gluing and stitching area, and also widened the overall width of the strap another 1/8" or 1/4" on the snap-ring side.

Very nice!

Something you might look at next time is a D Ring so the Mounting strap has more width, then make like a Key Fob with a Snap Ring on each end or some such.

Still it is a very "Nice" rig and should make him very happy for sure.

Thanks! We're on the same page - I almost bought a d-ring and a snap clip with the snaps on both ends, but I got the vibe my boss was pretty hooked on the way his current holster for his blank gun works. If it were up to me, I would have definitely used a d-ring and would have added a belt loop so it could be worn either way.