tazzmann

Braiding 101

Yeah right, relax. After last night! HAH!

So I went out and got Bruce Grant's book on braiding. Everyone seems to talk about it and it even says "with detailed illustrations and step-by-step instructions". So I plopped down on the couch and looked at trying the simple two thong chain braid. An hour later I finally understood what they were trying to accomplish (the instructions to me weren't all that clear). Feeling a little relief that I wasn't a COMPLETE idiot I moved on....

The 4 thong round braid. This one looked easy in principle (after the two thong fiasco, this one actually LOOKED easier). I didn't have a core to work with so though I would try it without one since the book made it sound as if it was done the same way.

Now, I am in the middle of quitting smoking, and if I had smokes, I would have smoked the entire pack in the four hours and thirteen minutes it spent to get two passes done which still didn't look right. No matter what I did, nothing seemed clear to me and the instructions seemed too brief and vague for a beginner.

I finally put the book and materials down. Tried to remember what meds I was supposed to take before heading to bed (my head felt like someone beat it with a combine) and dejectedly went to sleep feeling a LOT more respectful of you braiders.

Is there someone here that would be willing to do some tutorials aimed at severe beginners?

I am A.D.D. and can normally learn extremely fast through books, but I have to admit, this stuff makes my head hurt. However, it is one area that I REALLY want to learn and will be able to dedicate more time to it as my doc says I need to take time to de-stress everyday while sitting or my heart might just get up and decide to quit on me.

Thanks!

Hi tazzman,

You should try to get hold of some of Ron edwards books on braiding the instructions in them are a lot easier to follow than Grants books . he has a lot of projects for beginners.

hope this helps .

Cheers

Chris Barr

Don't worry about Grant's book, I've had my share of trouble trying to understand it.

About the 4-strand round braid, take a look at the dog leash tutorial I did. I show in there how to start and braid it. Maybe it would help. It's right here: Leash tutorial. I also have some tutorials on knots.

As for books, I haven't seen the books by Ron Edwards but I've heard good things about them. There are also books made by Gail Hought which are very well done. I've seen two of hers and with her explanations, finally understood how to do interweaving.

Hey Tazz, I know the feelings. Decided I wanted to learn to braid. Thought the 4 strand round was a good beginning. So I went to the net. All the 'easy instructions' seemed to deal with folks that already knew what was going to happen. Didn't want to spend the money on books if I couldn't learn. Searched hi and low for instructions that could satisfy my simple mind. Then went to the all purpose all knowing store. Go to walmart look in the craft section at the plastic lacing. There will be bags of colored lace with simple, the kind I can understand, instructions for about $5. Got me hooked. Then bought the grant books. Also at tandy there is a book called something like Fun with braiding and lacing, about $6. Not for everyone. But I can sit on the back poarch with a cup of coffee(morning) or a beer(evening) and listen to the birds and braid for hours, relaxing.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Thanks all. Myriam, I actually used that tutorial this evening. The core I used was not very good. It was apholstery type cord from walmart. Way too fibery and I think it was the wrong size. I finally got the hang of it after re-starting about 5 times. LOL

I will post some pics when I get up the nerve. Braiding looks like it can be relaxing once you get the darn thing started. I will keep practicing!

Edit: Here are some pics!

FirstBraid1.jpg

FirstBraid2.jpg

FirstBraid3.jpg

post-5650-1210742756_thumb.jpg

post-5650-1210742768_thumb.jpg

post-5650-1210742778_thumb.jpg

Edited by tazzmann

hey mike, good to hear youre doing ok. youre in the same boat with me, I finally figured out the 4 strand round braid, after 3 days of getting frustrated with it and putting it down and coming back to it.I have a few braiding books, so let me know if ya need any help, an we can try to figure it out together.ttyl

About 20-30 years ago I was playing around with braiding. It seemed alot easier to concentrate on following the instructions then. But you're right, once you get it it IS relaxing. Almost meditative, unless you are working on a knot or something. Right now I'm trying to learn horsehair hitching. Sometimes I think my head is going to explode.

But it looks like you are doing a good job.

Thanks all. Myriam, I actually used that tutorial this evening. The core I used was not very good. It was apholstery type cord from walmart. Way too fibery and I think it was the wrong size. I finally got the hang of it after re-starting about 5 times. LOL

I will post some pics when I get up the nerve. Braiding looks like it can be relaxing once you get the darn thing started. I will keep practicing!

Edit: Here are some pics!

Good job there, Tazzman! Yup, I agree about the core. Either the core is too big or the lace too narrow. You're off to a very good start though, your braiding is even and straight so I say now all you need to do is to match the core and lace width and you'll have it down. If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Good job there, Tazzman! Yup, I agree about the core. Either the core is too big or the lace too narrow. You're off to a very good start though, your braiding is even and straight so I say now all you need to do is to match the core and lace width and you'll have it down. If there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

Thanks Myriam, that makes me feel better. So.......Where does everyone get their paracord and does it come in more than one diameter?

Thanks Myriam, that makes me feel better. So.......Where does everyone get their paracord and does it come in more than one diameter?

I got mine from u-braid-it (look under Supplies). Very good service too and fast. They have a great variety of colors but only one size (3/16"). For the other sizes I'd look into stores which sell sporting goods. You should be able to find some there as well.

I am A.D.D.

yeah, but I bet it never bothers you for very long.

Tazzman, you can get excellent cores in a wide variety of diameters from REI or sporting goods stores that carry climbing and camping

gear. These are the lines used for tying gear, not the climbing ropes. They're firm and don't stretch and are inexpensive.

Edited by Hedge

Kewl! Thanks all! Another question... will boot laces work? They seem about the right diameter.

Thanks again!

Tazzman, you can braid ANYTHING. I started out with baling twine! Once I went to the thrift store and bought a very ugly crocheted shirt for $1.00. I undid all the chrocheting and braided a headstall out of the resulting yarn. Whatever is there that is easy for you to use, use it! The main thing is to just braid. We can't all afford that really nice kangaroo for braiding.... grumble grumble.... ;)

Kewl! Thanks all! Another question... will boot laces work? They seem about the right diameter.

Thanks again!

Hey, never thought of that. Sure. Sounds like that should work perfectly for 4 plait, although you really don't

need a core for 4. I've also done 6 plait without core using a herringbone pattern. Very interesting result.

I find that book confusing too, what really helped me were classes with Tom Hall. I thought he was easier to understand than Bruce's books. But then again, it's generally easier to learn in person than from a book...

i guess im lucky then because the only knot in bruce grants books that i cant get is the side button knot...dont know why..when i follow along with the written instructions it just wont come out right for me.

the coolest knots in the book are the boton and pampas knots the long ones. havent found a use for them in any of my projects yet but they are neat when you get them finished.

I do a fair amount of braiding with paracord. I get mine from www.supplycaptain.com . Great prices, fast turnaround (even up here to Canada) and always seems to have the various colors in stock.

Hey, thanks all for the comments, this is giving me something to look forward to. I want to practice the 4 tong round braid until I can do it in my sleep and then move to the next one. I think that If I practice it with a core, then doing it without a core should be easier.

I have the first one of these books but I plan on buying them all. She has pictures for every single move along with detailed instructions. I did get a little bit of hands on help from my mentor to get me started but the books in wonderful!

http://www.hought.com/brbooks.html

Hey, thanks all for the comments, this is giving me something to look forward to. I want to practice the 4 tong round braid until I can do it in my sleep and then move to the next one. I think that If I practice it with a core, then doing it without a core should be easier.

Don't know if this will help but try thinking of braiding as a form of weaving. You inter-lock the strings by laying over.

You don't ever have to use a core with a 4 plait unless you need extra strength, so why not practice without a core?

You don't ever have to use a core with a 4 plait unless you need extra strength, so why not practice without a core?

Mainly because when I tried it without a cord it looked really weird and I wasn't sure I was doing it right. With a core, it rounds it out more and I can see if I am making mistakes. No other reason at this moment.

Hey, I grew up in Vancouver, Washington!! Most my family left still lives there. :)

I see, the cords get in my way. Everyone has their own way of doing and learning. What are you using to braid with and how wide is your string? Maybe you already said it in the thread, but I've read so much lately it's all mixed up in my head. :rolleyes2: I know there is a formula for the size of core you use for the size of string. I just don't know right off the top of my head what it is.

I was using 3/32" lace and the core I am not sure how big it was. The boot string seems to be the right size for a core with the 3/32" lace, though I only got a couple of braid rows done last night. I will snap some pics tonight or tomorrow and show what it looks like with the boot string core.