Ive heard time and again of people dying leather with used coffee grounds, can anyone give me a little more details on the process? Like the preperation of the mix, is it just water and grounds? What about mold? Seems like there would have to be some kind of an after bath or something.

Ive heard time and again of people dying leather with used coffee grounds, can anyone give me a little more details on the process? Like the preperation of the mix, is it just water and grounds? What about mold? Seems like there would have to be some kind of an after bath or something.

Hope you don't mind, Rick, . . . thought I'd just reserve a space in here too, . . . I'd like to know.

I go through 3 each 12 cup pots every day, . . . and if I can turn those grounds into some profit, . . . or less expense, . . . that'd be great.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here is what I have tried. I made up a super strong pot of coffee and then heated that on the stove to evap most of the water off. I then let it cool off and set the leather down in a pan of the coffee. It turned a very nice brown but didn't stay that way once it dried. Maybe I should have just used the grounds themselves. I drink way too much coffee so I would like to know a way that works as well.

When you are done with the grounds throw them in your flower beds for nutrients. Be careful with dogs though they like to eat it, but will soon find out it was not a great idea and throw up.

You might need a mordant to really make the colour stick.

When dying fabric in the past I have boiled it for 30 mins.. not really an option for leather.

Natalie