LeatherHead99

Minimize Wrinkles In Dyed Veg Tanned

I notice when I dye veg tan black, it tends to wrinkle really bad when bent the opposite direction, even the slightest amount of bend will leave wrinkles. The wrinkle size size seems to correlate with the depth to which the dye has penetrated..It seems to be really bad with the black dye. I've tried conditioning with a few different conditioners,but the same result every time, im using fiebings oil dye. I generally make truck belts / tool belts and suspenders for firefighters.. its almost impossible to keep the leather from bending against the grain.. Ive contemplated using pre-dyed leather for the suspenders, but the belts require at least a 12 or 13oz.. and I cant find pre-dyed in that thickness.... is there a way to minimize these wrinkles... there has to be some way .

Ive contemplated using pre-dyed leather for the suspenders, but the belts require at least a 12 or 13oz.. and I cant find pre-dyed in that thickness....

You haven't looked very hard then...

http://www.wickett-craig.com/index.php/leathers/pricing

Bridle, harness...all available in black and in 12oz+.

angelus dye comes pre diluted, ready out the bottle.

Fiebings dyes are concentrated dyes that need to be thinned out w/ denatured alcohol.

Do a search on vinegaroon. This is not a dye but will change the tannins to a jet black in seconds or minutes. You make it your self from steel wool and house hold vinegar. I often will dip dye and the solution penetrates the leather completely.

Some folks suggest neutralizing with baking soda but I generally use saddle soap and then oil with olive or neatsfoot.

Cya!

Bob

I notice when I dye veg tan black, it tends to wrinkle really bad when bent the opposite direction, even the slightest amount of bend will leave wrinkles. The wrinkle size size seems to correlate with the depth to which the dye has penetrated..It seems to be really bad with the black dye. I've tried conditioning with a few different conditioners,but the same result every time, im using fiebings oil dye. I generally make truck belts / tool belts and suspenders for firefighters.. its almost impossible to keep the leather from bending against the grain.. Ive contemplated using pre-dyed leather for the suspenders, but the belts require at least a 12 or 13oz.. and I cant find pre-dyed in that thickness.... is there a way to minimize these wrinkles... there has to be some way .

I put a light coat of neatsfoot oil onto the leather while the leather is still damp from dyeing. The leather pores will be open and more receptive to the oil while damp. I noticed that dyes tend to dry out the leather a lot and I think that can aggravate the wrinkling...

Let the dye dry completely, and you can add a second light coat of neatsfoot oil onto the leather. This time, gently begin to flex the leather and you will notice that it will not wrinkle as badly.

Just remember, any time you flex leather to the extreme, you are stretchng it out and you will get some wrinkles no matter what, but the oil will make the leather more supple and less likely to wrinkle badly.

I noticed that dyes tend to dry out the leather a lot

this happens when you use for example Fiebings Regular Dye.

Fiebengs OIl dye provides more gentle and uniform cover.