Noah

Can someone tell me which is best, is there a difference?

I have been trying to decide between the landis leather splitter model 30 and the american leather splitter? If I got an american brand I wondered if it'd be harder to sell than the landis if I decided later I didn't need it anymore. Plus what's the difference in these two? Thanks all!

Noah,

I had an American splitter. I haven't owned or sold a Landis splitter. The American feeds from the back and the blade is on the front as you crank it. The Landis 30 I recall (and the ebay picture backs it up) feeds from the front and the blade is in the rear. My experience is that the American feeding from the back (and the advice of my old tool pal who was in the leather business for about 60 years) is more versatile. As I said in my other post, softer leathers, even 10 oz latigo, can wad up against the blade and not feed well. You can tension it a little from the front and help pull it through. Actually for most latigo I would start it with the crank, let go, pull it through, and let the handle freespool. That is harder to do with the Landis. My nod went to the American. I bought an Landis crank skiver and that will never leave my shop though.

The downside with some Americans - there was apparently a minor casting issue with some of them. The table the blade sits on and bridges on some has a bit of a "bow" to it. When tightened to the frame some of them developed a hairline stress crack over time . Once the blade is in place it bridges that. I have seen it on several of them. Some guys have fixed them. Others left them because they are solid enough with the metal and blade, they aren't going anywhere. I heard about that casting deal from the guy at Pilgrim Shoe and a couple others too. If you get an American without a crack, that is a plus. Mine had a crack and a shoe shop bought it for something like $585. The crack didn't bother them.

As far as resale, ebay seems to set the price standard now. Nobody is stealing any of them there. You can buy them from a guy like Keith Pommer, Ron Burkey, Bob Douglas has had some at times, and I'd be pretty confident. Just depends on who is selling and how fast and bad a guy needs one.

I was wondering with these splitters, I have seen them work on veg tanned and the like but I need something to split raw hide. Are any of these bench mount, crank or manual pull any good for this w/o slicing all the way through the raw hide. I am now in the process of hand skiving a few 90' strings and this is too tedious. Any suggestions.

Paul

Well Bruce, I have a chance to get a landis and he said he might have an american you could get hold of. I think maybe the landis might be the best for what I do and mostly use. I only split heavier bridle leather. So now after reading this I am really confused. Lol.. Maybe I'd better have him see if those american flaws are in the one he mentioned. I am suppose to meet his son to get one tomorrow so time is a factor as far as information on these.

Paul, I hope someone can anwser you here. I'm here asking for info myself.

ptank,

I have been using the high tech splitter that I got from tandy's for splitting my rawhide. I have never used anything else so have nothing to compare against. But it seems to work well for me. For the rawhide though the moisture must be right, to wet and you will get to much stretch, to dry and you will cut through your hide. And the blade needs to be very sharp.

Rob