Sign in to follow this  
JeffChastain

Leather Burnishing While Boning.

So, I made myself some crude, but smooth boning tools out of a plastic cutting board. I fashioned them out of pictures of boning tools here on the internet. I was able to get a thin edge that was very smooth, and not thin enough to cut the leather, but it seems like my leather is burnishing quickly. The only reference I have on boning are particles videos, and he has dyed his holsters before he bones them, so I can't tell if he's burnishing the leather quickly or not. Will most of the burnish be hidden once I dye? Also, do any of you know of a pattern book for medium framed auto holsters? I find alot for 1911's, but that's really all. Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your insight!

So, I made myself some crude, but smooth boning tools out of a plastic cutting board. I fashioned them out of pictures of boning tools here on the internet. I was able to get a thin edge that was very smooth, and not thin enough to cut the leather, but it seems like my leather is burnishing quickly. The only reference I have on boning are particles videos, and he has dyed his holsters before he bones them, so I can't tell if he's burnishing the leather quickly or not. Will most of the burnish be hidden once I dye? Also, do any of you know of a pattern book for medium framed auto holsters? I find alot for 1911's, but that's really all. Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your insight!

Once the leather is burnished, it will not accept dye as readily as unburnished leather...either dye your holster before you wet mold, or be really careful to not burnish the leather when forming....here is my typical process...i cut my patterns out, mark and groove stitchlines, dye, dry for 24 hours, buff leather, awl, sew, chamfer and sand edges, die edges and burnish, wet mold (apply neatsfoot oil while still wet), bake, edge, dry for 24 hours, add finisher, dry, add clear shoe polish, buff and done...As for the pattern books, i can help you there...i make my own..the most enjoyable steps for me is designing the holster and wet molding...

Hi Jeff - I do get burnishing, but most notably when the leather starts to dry out. I don't mind the burnishing - I think it adds to the character and shows it was hand-made - but like renegadelizard said, burnishing will make it harder to dye. The only reason I dye before assembly is so I can use any thread color I want.

Thanks for the replies, fellows.

Renegade- I'm designing my own patterns also, but I was thinking a pattern book would help me focus on the fundamentals while I'm still figuring this all out. Thanks for posting your process. I've read alot of processes, and I think the one you follow has been one of the better ones I've read. Now to apply the steps.

particle, I think it adds character to the holster, also. By the way, I was over at another forum,and happened to come across some posts of yours when you first started out. If I can progress that much and become that good in the same timeframe as you, I will consider myself a great success, even if I never made a dime.

Wow - thanks Jeff for the compliment! I think the key for me was focusing on a small group of guns when I first started out - that helped me to focus on refining the technique, without getting bogged down and frustrated with bad patterns for new guns. I'm a visual learner too, so seeing and trying to mimic the fine work here and elsewhere was a big help too. I still have a LOT to learn. As you'll see from looking at my website, I have a very small product offering - I only offer two styles of holsters, one style of mag pouch, and belts. I've been really slow to branch out and take on new designs, but I hope to add a few more options very soon.

Wow - thanks Jeff for the compliment! I think the key for me was focusing on a small group of guns when I first started out - that helped me to focus on refining the technique, without getting bogged down and frustrated with bad patterns for new guns. I'm a visual learner too, so seeing and trying to mimic the fine work here and elsewhere was a big help too. I still have a LOT to learn. As you'll see from looking at my website, I have a very small product offering - I only offer two styles of holsters, one style of mag pouch, and belts. I've been really slow to branch out and take on new designs, but I hope to add a few more options very soon.

Come on Eric, we all know it is better to do two or four things absolutely perfect than it is to do 15 things okay...your technique is spot on, and you have helped countless millions..(well, okay, maybe a couple hundred), in getting their technique going in the right direction...i have no doubt that if you decided to start making concealed flip flop holsters for the angry mothers of the world, or leather top hats that unfolded into little leather fairies holding vases of flowers, that it wouldnt take you too long to master it...but i wanna get the video first when you do the flip flop holsters...

don

Those are some pretty interesting ideas Don.... You might be on to something!!! :) Thanks for the compliment.