GrampaJoel

Ok I Want To Build A Saddle. What Tools Do I Need?

OK, I want to build a saddle. What tools do I need?

Please tell me the tools I'll need to start and complete a western saddle. I don't mean stamping tools and such.

I mean tools like a drawdown stand and stirrup stretchers and such.

Thanks

Joel

I have found a few threads with lists of tools:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8468&hl=

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15425

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=820

I think it would be good to have a list like this pinned at the top of this section. If others want to add in what they consider basic tools, and then someone who knows far more about building saddles wants to compile a list, we could get a good list going for future reference. Any additions or volunteers?

Joel,

Here's a couple of older threads that should answer your question. Hope these help.

Tools #1

Tools #2

Regards,

Ben

P.S. Looks like I was too slow [Denise beat me to the punch.....edited]

Edited by gtwister09

Thanks you both Denise & Ben :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The links were great and full of the info I was looking for. The links should be pinned at the top of the page I think to help others when they ask this same question.

Thanks again

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

OK, I want to build a saddle. What tools do I need?

Please tell me the tools I'll need to start and complete a western saddle. I don't mean stamping tools and such.

I mean tools like a drawdown stand and stirrup stretchers and such.

Thanks

Joel

Gday mate , thanks for starting this post !!

I have been wanting to ask this for awhile now !!

I have been intouch with a bloke that has some J Wright wade trees , and some Harwood dvds , but still says get all the info you can so here i am wanting all the info i can get

on making saddles or any info on making or improving tool for the job

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

Grampa Joel, back when I started, I first bought a set of the Al Stohlman books. I found them to be invaluable, not only because they told how to make saddles, but; also gave you the insight as to what tools you would need and how to use them, patterns, and the other items you need, such as draw down stand, jigs and so on. They also instruct you how to make the items you need to get started. You will of course add to the list after you get started, but; to date this is the most informative and comprehensive set of details on how to get started I have seen. I am sure there are many more, but; once I got started with these, I never found the need for any others.

Hope that helps.

Bondo Bob

Bondo Bob

Thanks for the advice!

The Al Stohlman books you mentioned are now in hands and will be the focus of my coming evenings! :)

Thanks

Joel

I am just starting my first saddle and I found that Jeremiah Watts saddle making videos have lots of tips as well as a list of all the tools and supplies you will need to start making a saddle. I found his videos a great bit of help. You can visit his site at www.ranch2arena.com.

And thanks for stating this post as I have been wondering the same of the things myself.

Chance