AZ09

Eliminate Gun Leather "creeking" sound

Hello friends,

I was recently asked and not really sure the best answer. "Hey Tal, What is the best way to eliminate/reduce leather creeking?" It's farly new leather SASS style single gun rig that groans and growls with movement. Thanks for looking and your thoughts..

Peace

Tal~

A light oil rubbed in, like olive oil, or baby powder has worked for me. The sounds will also decrease with use.

I love that sound! Nothing says "brand new, real leather" quite like it.

A light oil rubbed in, like olive oil, or baby powder has worked for me. The sounds will also decrease with use.

Thanks Jordan

TAL~

Many was the SASS Shooter asked me the same question when they got their new rigs. My answer was simply - "Use 'em and use 'em a lot. It'll quit after a while. Besides, the targets are deaf and easy to sneak up on!"

(Their new boots did the same thing!)

neatsfoot oil and gunsmoke pardner! :lol:

The 'creaking' can caused by the holster rubbing against itself where there's more than one layer, or when the leather is really dry. You can use the above methods to put a band-aid on the problem, or you can just eliminate the problem by bonding the layers before stitching. A good contact cement, that is still a little flexible when cured, works well. Barge is one of my favorites, but I'm seeing good results with the Dap 'Weldwood' contact cement as well. I consider conditioning the leather (with one or more of umpteen methods) part of the finishing process, so adding more oil will probably result in "too much" oil.

The 'creaking' can caused by the holster rubbing against itself where there's more than one layer, or when the leather is really dry. You can use the above methods to put a band-aid on the problem, or you can just eliminate the problem by bonding the layers before stitching. A good contact cement, that is still a little flexible when cured, works well. Barge is one of my favorites, but I'm seeing good results with the Dap 'Weldwood' contact cement as well. I consider conditioning the leather (with one or more of umpteen methods) part of the finishing process, so adding more oil will probably result in "too much" oil.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for information. I'm going to try the WELDWOOD since Barge is not found in my small town.

All The Best

Tal~