Sign in to follow this  
shehog

pound board

Hi,

What do people use as a board to cut and punch their leather on? There has to be something better than the $18.00 piece of rubber that Tandy sells.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

What do people use as a board to cut and punch their leather on? There has to be something better than the $18.00 piece of rubber that Tandy sells.

Thanks in advance

She:

for cutting/punching, get a poly board. Tandy, Hidecrafter, Springfield, among others, sells them. The poundo board is primarily used to reduce vibration/shock/bounce when whacking/tooling on granite. The older black poundo from the '70s could handle punching up to a point, but the newer red stuff is much too soft. Put it under your tooling surface, get a poly board for punching/cutting.

[some people go to the trouble of melting lead in a pan & using that instead of the poly board.]

russ

Edited by whinewine

I know a guy who uses about a 4 foot stump of a tree. It doesn't take up much room and works great. (hard wood is best)

I know a guy who uses about a 4 foot stump of a tree. It doesn't take up much room and works great. (hard wood is best)

When I worked for Tandy, back in the '70s, my manager had a tree stump in the back room of the store that he'd use to whack out keyfobs & cut off belt ends. :gathering:

russ

For cutting with a round knife and end punching and other punching such as drive and bag punches. I use a big cutting board from wally world, Target or some such place. There not that much and work good. As soon as I get the time though I'm going to melt some lead and try that. I think I was told to use plumbers lead.

Mike

thanks to all, for your good suggestions. Was curious what others are using.

I use a cheapo cutting board from target as well. Haven't had a problem yet.

The black pound board sold at Tandy is a high durometer die rubber. It is used in dies to reduce shock and as a cusion. Machine shops use it and it can be purchased from machine supply companies. You can also use conveyor belt material. It also comes in different matrials and thickness. Hope this helps.....