Sign in to follow this  
whtdove3

Guitar pick guard-questions

I'd like to make a pick guard for one of my hubby's guitars, but don't know what thickness leather would be best and if I should put a backer of some sort on it to keep it flat. I know the overall thickness can't be too much since the mounting screws aren't very long.

Anyone have any advice they can share?

Thanks very much in advance.

I have used a 4 to 6 oz leather for pick guards, and for electric guitars be sure you use the aluminum tape on the back. to keep it flat after tooling I case the leather on the back side to re-warp it to true. I also in-set the holes for the screw heads by turning over the actual screws and tapping down the area around the punched hole.

I have used a 4 to 6 oz leather for pick guards, and for electric guitars be sure you use the aluminum tape on the back. to keep it flat after tooling I case the leather on the back side to re-warp it to true. I also in-set the holes for the screw heads by turning over the actual screws and tapping down the area around the punched hole.

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate your time and expertise. This will be for an electric.

Great tip, also, about the screw holes! I wouldn't have thought of that.