Jbarv Bulls

Used Landis 2 Inch Splitter

I have an old Landis 2 inch crank splitter. $350 and Ill ship it for free. Blade could use a good sharpening. PM or email joe.j.jones@hotmail.com

Heres a pic of the back side.

post-17016-094815300 1337970555_thumb.jp

post-17016-064556000 1337970663_thumb.jp

Ok, make me an offer then... or open to some trading.

I think you have a Skiver not a splitter. The blade will not cut level/flat edge to edge. Adjustments on the little table make it skive a different amount from the edge of the leather.

This is what it looks like to me. I rebuilt a 3 in 1.

ferg

I have an old Landis 2 inch crank splitter. $350 and Ill ship it for free. Blade could use a good sharpening. PM or email joe.j.jones@hotmail.com

Would you mind telling me which part is the blade please? Thank you.

Fifty years is right. This is a lap skiver used in making harness or what ever else you want to skive the end of. The end of a strap us stuck in from the side and the handle is turned to skive the material.

Fifty years is right. This is a lap skiver used in making harness or what ever else you want to skive the end of. The end of a strap us stuck in from the side and the handle is turned to skive the material.

Actually the machine was designed for skiving shoe soles. I use one quite a bit in the saddle shop. Pretty handy tool.

Does anyone know if it would fare as well on chrome tanned as it would on veg?

niftycurly,

They will do firm chrome tan like latigo and some oiltans pretty well. Not so bueno on chap or softer mulehide. As far as splitter vs. skiver. If you level the blade they will do a level split. I was told that was the elusive "third function" of the 3-in-1 > cutting with the wheel, skving with the blade angled, and splitting welting material with the blade level. Anybody else heard that?

I had just always heard them called splitters, wasnt aware you couldnt do one with the other. If the blade was sharpened, itd help with the chrome tan leather. I just tried it on 10-12 oz vegtan. Im secure enough in my sharpening ability to know if I tried to sharpen it, Id wreck it. The bevel angles and I dont get along real well ....

Bruce,

The 3in1 I rebuilt had adjustments on it that would not enable flat even thickness skiing. The adjustment was actually eccentric. My understanding, when I spoke to a gentleman at Pilgrim, the skiver was intended for shoe work, explicitly the sole. That of course doesn't mean it couldn't and hasn't been used otherwise.

The unit I rebuilt was a Landis.

ferg

1339256205[/url]' post='251853']

niftycurly,

They will do firm chrome tan like latigo and some oiltans pretty well. Not so bueno on chap or softer mulehide. As far as splitter vs. skiver. If you level the blade they will do a level split. I was told that was the elusive "third function" of the 3-in-1 > cutting with the wheel, skving with the blade angled, and splitting welting material with the blade level. Anybody else heard that?

Edited by 50 years leather

Sold it, thanks a bunch

Ferg, I have had Americans that had the eccentics, My American Model B on the bench has them too. I just played with it and can go up with one and down with the other and splits a 3/4 inch strap pretty level. It is pretty limited with the range, but gave me a 7 oz split. I have only had one Landis 3-in-1 and can't remember how it adjusted. I just got a Landis crank skiver like this one pictured and it has the same slots and bolts adjustment. I can level the blade on thts Landis and have a little more room to change height than my American.

Ferg, I have had Americans that had the eccentics, My American Model B on the bench has them too. I just played with it and can go up with one and down with the other and splits a 3/4 inch strap pretty level. It is pretty limited with the range, but gave me a 7 oz split. I have only had one Landis 3-in-1 and can't remember how it adjusted. I just got a Landis crank skiver like this one pictured and it has the same slots and bolts adjustment. I can level the blade on thts Landis and have a little more room to change height than my American.

Interesting Bruce, I have had a Landis skiver, have an American skiver and had an American 3-in-1. It never dawned on me to try to "split a strap on one". I guess the crank landis 30 splitter was just too close to the skiver and too handy. Handy piece of information. Thanks Ken

Bruce, I fiddled with mine a number of times trying to get it to cut level to no avail. It had a bolt that tightened the blade. You loosened it and turned an eccentric to change, retightened the bolt to use it.

i bought a new blade for it but it would not handle chrome tanned that I had very well. The serrated roller was worn on it somewhat, cleaned and done some re-adjusting, it worked fine. I tried it on a piece of leather about the thickness of a shoe sole, it skived the edge perfectly.

post-15740-050677700 1339286709_thumb.jp

ferg

Ferg.

Is that a Landis or American? The adjusting set up looks pretty similar to the Americans I have had. I haven't had many Landis skivers, but the ones I have had and the one I just got haven't had eccentrics. On the American I have right now, I have two eccentrics. One is up at the top left looking at the picture you posted. The other eccentric is where that hex bolt is on yours. I can't tell from the picture if that is a washer or a eccentric under that hex head. By raising that eccentric up and lowering the top left I can level the blade. This Model B is a kind of a cool skiver. It had a milled wheel top and bottom. We took the teeth off the top to keep from marking the grain. There is a lever handle to "open" up the gap between the feed rollers and that gap is adjusted with a nut on the handle linkage. It also has a 2-1/2" blade which makes it really handy for longer skives.

Ken,

I went along not ever knowing or even thinking much about what all a 3-in-1 does. I had one and I knew they cut and knew they skived. I asked a few guys and nobody knew why they were called a 3-in-1. "I guess something to do with shoes" was the common answer. I am pretty sure it was Arnold at Melanie Machine who said the third function was splitting. I've always had a splitter pretty handy too, and they are a lot easier to adjust.

Bruce,

I haven't been able to level the blade on the Landis, I tried to do it a couple of times but haven't had any success I believe it's due to the vertical slot not being long enough on this one (bolt under blade on the outer edge). Also tried to replace the top roller as I needed a completely smooth roller at one time but found the key slots are completely different to what they use now on the 5 in 1 and I didn't think to check that before I got Cambell Bosworth to make a new roller, did find out it used to be green though. It would of been nice to be able to get the blade level but it has had a pretty good workout even without that function.

Clair

Ferg.

Is that a Landis or American? The adjusting set up looks pretty similar to the Americans I have had. I haven't had many Landis skivers, but the ones I have had and the one I just got haven't had eccentrics. On the American I have right now, I have two eccentrics. One is up at the top left looking at the picture you posted. The other eccentric is where that hex bolt is on yours. I can't tell from the picture if that is a washer or a eccentric under that hex head. By raising that eccentric up and lowering the top left I can level the blade. This Model B is a kind of a cool skiver. It had a milled wheel top and bottom. We took the teeth off the top to keep from marking the grain. There is a lever handle to "open" up the gap between the feed rollers and that gap is adjusted with a nut on the handle linkage. It also has a 2-1/2" blade which makes it really handy for longer skives.

Ken,

I went along not ever knowing or even thinking much about what all a 3-in-1 does. I had one and I knew they cut and knew they skived. I asked a few guys and nobody knew why they were called a 3-in-1. "I guess something to do with shoes" was the common answer. I am pretty sure it was Arnold at Melanie Machine who said the third function was splitting. I've always had a splitter pretty handy too, and they are a lot easier to adjust.

Do you have any pictures of the Model B. I have an American but I need to look a the model # when I get back down to the shop. Mine has a 1 3/4 wide blade.

Edited by Ken Nelson

I have started a new thread to continue the discussion on crank skivers. There are pictures of two crank skivers I have right now with the blades angled and level on both. Here is the link - American and Landis Crank Skivers .

Bruce, The three functions are as follows. Skiver for soles so the shoe sole thins at the heel, trimmer for trimming shoe soles after the sole had been sewn, and I just had one of my many senior moments and cannot remember the name of the apparatus on top. It is used to press the edge of the shoe sole together. I tried it, really worked.Also, the sole trimmer is used to cut the blank for the shoe sole. Pretty much makes it a 4 in 1. LOL

Mine was a Landis, I am sure had Memphis on it for manufacturing site.

ferg

1339307540[/url]' post='251950']

Ferg.

Ken,

Ferg, If yours has the welt press on top, it is called a 5-in-1. At least one place lists the five functions of those as a welt roller, sole cutter, heel trimmer, edge beveler, and skiver. Can any shoe folks verify that a 3-in-1 will trim heels as well as cut soles. If so, they may be a skiver/sole cutter/heel trimmer. It is probably one of those things that a person cand do enough different things that the functions kind of overlap. I do know that at least with my dedicated crank skivers I can level them and split or angle them and skive. The only 3-in-1 I have is a Progressive salvage piece and it has the blade adjustment way different and "Progressive" may be a misnomer.

Bruce,

You are correct the one I had was a 5 in 1. I refurbished it with intent to sell it which I did. Thus, my slightly vague comments concerning part of the machine. Have trouble finding my way home sometimes so any loss of memory is normal. LOL

ferg

Ferg, If yours has the welt press on top, it is called a 5-in-1. At least one place lists the five functions of those as a welt roller, sole cutter, heel trimmer, edge beveler, and skiver. Can any shoe folks verify that a 3-in-1 will trim heels as well as cut soles. If so, they may be a skiver/sole cutter/heel trimmer. It is probably one of those things that a person cand do enough different things that the functions kind of overlap. I do know that at least with my dedicated crank skivers I can level them and split or angle them and skive. The only 3-in-1 I have is a Progressive salvage piece and it has the blade adjustment way different and "Progressive" may be a misnomer.

Would anyone be able to point to a manual or any kind of documentation for the Landis 2" machine at the beginning of this post?

Or perhaps know the model name/number? Google has not been forthcoming tho it looks quite similar to the Landis that Bruce posted in his crank skiver thread.

Many thanks,

-Ellen

Edited by niftycurly