Help, I've been making holsters as a hobby for a few months now for myself and I would like to make some for family, friends and such, but I'm having a problem.

After soaking in hot tap water (120 degrees) with a drop of dish soap for about 30 seconds, I mold and bone the holster and let dry for a day or so. After it's dry I notice a 1/4 inch band around the holster mouth and body shield that is lighter in color than the rest of the holster. After drying with fiebings it becomes more noticeable no matter how many coats I apply, especially with the tan color. I'm using a mid grade Tandy 8-9 oz. leather but plan on using something better in the future. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated so any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture that demonstrates the problem

h12.jpg

Help, I've been making holsters as a hobby for a few months now for myself and I would like to make some for family, friends and such, but I'm having a problem.

After soaking in hot tap water (120 degrees) with a drop of dish soap for about 30 seconds, I mold and bone the holster and let dry for a day or so. After it's dry I notice a 1/4 inch band around the holster mouth and body shield that is lighter in color than the rest of the holster. After drying with fiebings it becomes more noticeable no matter how many coats I apply, especially with the tan color. I'm using a mid grade Tandy 8-9 oz. leather but plan on using something better in the future. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated so any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture that demonstrates the problem

h12.jpg

That is odd, someone on here that has done more holsters than I, might know exactly what the problem is, but it looks like to me that you burnished the edges in question with a burnishing wheel prior to dying. This in turn left a very uniformed waxy band around the edge of the holster, which wont allow the dye to penetrate the leather.

Right or wrong, I dye the leather before I burnish the edges. After burnishing I stitch the lined areas, I glue and stitch the main seam. Then burnish the main seam. Last I soak the holster in warm water and fit the gun. Maybe that will help.

Looks good, keep trying

That is odd, someone on here that has done more holsters than I, might know exactly what the problem is, but it looks like to me that you burnished the edges in question with a burnishing wheel prior to dying. This in turn left a very uniformed waxy band around the edge of the holster, which wont allow the dye to penetrate the leather.

Right or wrong, I dye the leather before I burnish the edges. After burnishing I stitch the lined areas, I glue and stitch the main seam. Then burnish the main seam. Last I soak the holster in warm water and fit the gun. Maybe that will help.

Looks good, keep trying

I guess I'm unclear as to what burnishing actually means but I do sand the edges with a fine grit dremel before dying. That said, I may have solved the problem. I was just in the middle of making a flashlight holster and I cut the shape , sanded the edges and as I usually do, I then burn the little frizzies with a lighter.

Maybe I'm cooking the leather on the edges?

Yes, scorching the leather would result in what you have shown.

Try taking a wooden dowel of about 1/2" diameter, chuck it into a drill press (or drill that can be held stationary), with a round file cut several grooves of varying width (easily done while the dowel is turning.

You now have a burnishing tool. While the leather is still damp from the forming process is a good time to burnish edges. Allow each edge to receive a good polishing in the groove of appropriate width. This will smooth and polish the leather, forcing all the little "fuzzies" back into the leather edge.

Very attractive result that will also continue to accept dye properly. Note that some dyes (notably the water-based) will cause the leather to expand, pushy up new little "fuzzies", so a little touch-up with the burnishing tool is frequently necessary.

Many folks use waxes or other products in their burnishing. Nice results, but not really all that necessary for a nice finished edge.

Edited by Lobo