Werne

Getting My Feet Wet

Hi everyone. My name is Scott and I'm seeking guidance if it's available. I come from the fabric world and even though I've been in the textile industry and sewing for myself and friends for years I've always had a stray eye for cow skin. Well, I'm 48 and if I'm going to step outside my comfort zone now is about as good a time as any. I have two questions and I'm sure they're close to what most novices ask - 1. What's the ante? I've always put off learning the craft because I assumed the initial investment was more than I should take on. From what I've read so far I'm thinking around $300.00. Oh, I should say I'm interested in constructing bags, packs and such. I really enjoy reproducing antique patterns. 2. Where the hell do I start? I'm pretty shocked the past few days reading posts and how-to's how I was lost reading two sentences. I would love to encounter someone willing to mentor me. I guess that's it for now. I'm really happy I found you all and I have a feeling this might be a good thing. Thanks for reading. Take it easy.

I'd say to start with the basics. You probably have many of the skills already, making and following a pattern, cutting the material, dying, stitching and finishing.

Personally, I needed a holster so I got myself a scratch awl, sturdy scissors, some blind cord, a snap set and a $20 hunk of leather.

That was many years ago and now, my last restocking order was over $300, and I forgot to order some 1/4" Chicago screws.

I found it really difficult to get started too. Even Tandy Leather didn't say what thickness material their rivets were appropriate for. I floundered my way through because I live in a remote place. I inspired a friend to get into making dog collars and leashes. She had easy access to a Tandy store and learned more in one day than I did in a year.

I would never have started leatherworking if I had realized how expensive it would be. Good thing I had no idea, because I love it! It cost me about $1200 the first year, and I was spending as little money as possible, and wasn't even getting nice tools. So yeah.. it can be expensive. But it's also not necessarily the best idea to dive in and buy tons of expensive tools without trying some things first.

Also, if you look through this forum, you'll find a lot of old threads (and threads from last week) where people ask for tool lists and tips for just starting out. See what you can find. This place is even better than Tandy, in terms of learning.

Lastly, leather is very popular, and if you make good products, which you are likely to do, since you come from an experienced sewing background, you'll be able to make the money back very quickly.

Monica makes a good point. After I made my first molded pouch from that $20 hunk of leather with my first set of "tools," I took it to work to show people.

Ammopouch_zpsb1f9b21c.jpg

To my surprise and delight, people started throwing money at me to make something similar for their multi-tools.

Now I cringe at that stitch line.

Thank you all for replies. I'm really impressed by the site but more so by the camaraderie that's pervasive. I'm hoping I can find a source within decent driving distance to sponge up knowledge. Thanks again!

Like yourself, I had done a lot of fabric sewing; repairing & modifying backpacking gear like tents, waterproofs & rucsacs. Then somehow I fancied knife making, and so needed to make the sheaths.

I hadn't realised how involved it would be to sew and work with leather, but like many hobbies you can start simply, then increase your skill, experience - and expenditure!

You will already be used to handling material and envisaging the finished article, and probably have a collection of tools that will help you start

There are loads of videos on YouTube, just search for leatherwork; plus all the threads on this Forum, especially the 'pinned' ones. This company's website has some good tutorials on basic techniques

http://www.bowstock.co.uk

You will soon realise that some tools are especially for leatherwork so must be purchased, and that some can be made or improvised. I have made a strop, a round/scratch awl, an edge burnisher, and a sewing pony all based on illustrations from websites and this forum.

Round or head knives are traditional, but also expensive, you probably already have a craft knife

The 4-in1 awl sold mainly by Tandy looks tempting, but it's not very good. A read of these forums will give you better recommendations

You could start with a key fob; or 2 or 3. Don't dismiss them, it can show you; pattern making, cutting out, skiving, sewing, burnishing & edge finishing, dyeing, tooling and carving, depending on how far you want to go. Something of a cliche, but get the simple, basic stuff right, then move on from there

Sort of off topic. If you have woodworking skills already you can incorporate leather into chairs, furniture.. and vice versa, woodworking into leather products.

Leatherworking is the easiest I think to get into. All the tools are straightforward, most of them you already have. Stitching is something that takes a while to get good.

You can probably get by with 150 dollars if you had to. 300 should be enough, buy from ebay used sales or from leathercrafttools.com from japan. Tandy's quality isn't too great for what it cost. One thing that will save you a lot of money is buy Faux leather to practice and until you get good then start using real veg tan, avoid expensive threads and the different types of dyes and little excessories, they add up to hundreds little by little.

Simple Olfa ultramax snap off knife - no need to even get a more expensive knife this blade will out cut them all because of how sharp and most importantly thin the blade is.

Japanese awl - varies in size

Japanese pricking iron/overstitch

Scratch compass OR one of those compasses that you use for math that uses lead. Remove the lead and use that.

needles

cheap thread .58mm to 1mm

white school glue

ruler

sandpaper

edger* wont work with upholstery leather or faux leather only veg tan.

= close to 50 dollars before shipping, without leather.

50 more dollars can get yards of faux leather (make sure it has thickness) or

upholstery leather. on ebay there are plenty of veg tan hides for not too much.

used tooling stamps can be bought on ebay too.

Welcome to the site from a fellow Hoosier! You have found the right place to learn, there are some very impressive leather crafters/artisans that hang out here, so jump in and hang on... :red_bandana:

This book helped me out a lot when I first started: "Leathercraft Tools: How to Use Them, How To Sharpen Them" by Al Stohlman (leatherworker Saint and possible Diety). As the title suggests, Al describes the proper usage and the intended function of practically every leather working tool there is plus shows you how to make a few of them yourself. In addition to bering a terrific reference (I still turn to it regularly for sharpening tips) it's also a good primer on leather working and will give you a leg up on the learning curve of trial and error.