AZ09

Leather Book Mark examples

Hello All.

Can somebody lead me to some book mark examples? I need some inspiration so I can design my own. Also, what weight leather is best used?

Peace

Tal~

Tal,

You can make them just about any size (width and length) and they can be simple designs, incorporate brands, stamped, or tooled with just about any pattern you can lay out. They can be a single piece of leather or doubled over. The ones that I have made were mostly done for family and are doubled over so that they fit over a page. They are about 1-1/2 to 2 oz leather so they have to be placed on something to reduce stretch. Then I glue a light flat magnet and strip so that they clasp over the page. If you like you can line them as well but that affects the magnet pull. You can finish as you see fit.

Sorry. I don't have any pictures but I did find a couple of patterns. One is fairly simple and the other one I made for my grandmother who loved roses and was a teacher. I just about went blind doing the text on the inverted style. As you can see a simple letter makes a nice one. You can personalize them as much as you want. However smaller text (unless you used actual printers type) like the message on the "A" bookmark is pretty tedious. Both of these were 1-3/4" wide. The "M" was 8" long and the "A" was 10" but you can make them any width or length. You can add braiding, tassels and any number of other items to it. Like I said they can be as simple as a single piece of leather, doubled like mine or even lined. The sky's the limit with fonts, tooling, brands and so forth.

Bookmark_A.jpg bookmark_M.jpg

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

post-9-125294794096_thumb.jpg

post-9-125294796804_thumb.jpg

Ben.

Beautiful Thank you for the information now I have an idea..

Peace

Tal~

Here is a few

Bm1.JPG

post-4868-125295815896_thumb.jpg

Ben.

Beautiful Thank you for the information now I have an idea..

Peace

Tal~

Tal,

Good! Glad to help with your creative juices. You will have to show us your idea when you are done.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Tal,

Here are a few that I have done. (With a nod to Allan Scheiderer on the stamping pattern used on the first one.) The leather you use needs to be fairly thin. Say, 3-4 oz. Upholstery leather also makes excellent bookmarks.

Kate

bookmarkKaleidFull_500.jpg

bookmarkKelpieFull_500.jpg

bookmarks.jpg

bookmarks-dye-cut-misc_600.jpg

post-7-125298592167_thumb.jpg

post-7-125298594971_thumb.jpg

post-7-125298597576_thumb.jpg

post-7-125298604026_thumb.jpg

Tal-

I have used some of the Tandy belt patterns for book marks. I have also cut book mark blanks from belts. I have used this with Boy Scouts for the leather merit badge.

Fathers Son

Hi Tal,

Here are a few that I have done. (With a nod to Allan Scheiderer on the stamping pattern used on the first one.) The leather you use needs to be fairly thin. Say, 3-4 oz. Upholstery leather also makes excellent bookmarks.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Beautiful work, and thanks for the advice on leather type and weight.

All The Best

Tal~

Hello F/S

Thankyou! for the tip and trick..

All The Best

Tal~