entiendo

Just a Few Questions

Hiya everyone. It's been a while since I've posted, but I do stop by a couple times a week. My computer is not happy with the new board format and runs very slow. Anywho, to my questions; I'm at the point now in my braiding where I think I need a splitter. A couple of my recent hides seem to be more square when I cut the small strings and of course that makes it more difficult to work with but more importantly it doesn't lay as smooth. What kind of splitters do you all use? I don't need a cutter or a beveler with it, I already have that. I'd appreciate any impute. I'll be splitting it to about .8 mm I think and I only use kangaroo, at least so far. One day I would like to try rawhide but I'm not there yet.

Is U-braid-it the only place to get ferrules? Their supply is somewhat limited. It doesn't seem fair that I see ferrules everywhere on line on reins, bridles and breast collars but I can't find anywhere to buy them. Someone is making there somewhere, I just don't know where.

Hello Enteindo,

Does Horseshoe Brand make any ferrules. Seems like they crank out most everything else tack related. As for a splitter I use the tandy high tech splitter and get along fine. I have been able to use a couple of others that where better made and they still split it down the way that was needed.

Rob

I bought a hand-help splitter about a year ago and I keep it at my side whenever I'm braiding. It was designed to split roo and "other mellow leathers up to 30mm wide, to any required thickness up to 4mm thick. The blade is a heavy duty Stanley No. 1992/11/921" (as with other blades, you'll need to strop them). I've also used it on latigo and veg-tanned straps up to 2" wide.

The maker is the son of the man that invented the "original" Aussie Strander. Dene Williams also has a hand-held strander, but I haven't mastered that yet.

Even with shipping costs, you'll not find a more handy stripper for braiding and straps. I have two email addresses for him...no website.

For those of you Down Under, his address and phone # are: 276 Hodgsonvale Rd., Hodgsonvale, 4352, QLD 07-4630 9708

denewhips@icr.com.au

denewhips@bigpond.com

Thank you. I've done a little checking on horseshoe brand, no luck so far. I downloaded part of their catalog but it didn't contain any silver. I did manage to find a lot of ferrules on ebay so I'm good for a while but there has to be somewhere.

I'll have to check out those splitters, thanks again.

For a splitter for your roo lace I would check out www.midwestwhips.com Paul Nolan makes lots and lots of whip each year. The splitter he has is made in Australia and is about $105.00 plus shipping if I remember right. He has some on hand so can ship them fairly quickly. He also has a lace cutter that is supposed to be really good. That is the next "tool" purchase for me.

thanks rcsaddles. I'm going to check all these out as soon as I get a few extra minutes.

Do you make flat bridles by any chance? Do you know what kind of cowhide is use and what thickness?