badLoveLeather

Prepping a tool bag for a Life Outsidfe

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted n a while. Some of you may know my work. I mostly do wallets, cuffs, and belts.

I am working on a tool bag for a customer. Nothing new but haven't done one like this. First off the customer wanted me to match an existing saddle bags basket weave. He sent me a photo and luckily enough I had the tool for the job. I picked up some veg tan from tandy that is about 9/10 oz. I dyed it all black with Fiebings Pro Oil dye. How should I finish this bag to look good the longest out doors? I didn;t get to know the customer well enough to understand how much he rode. he could be one of those once a month riders and the bag may only see day light every now and then but I like to put my pride in everything I do and need to know that this tool bag will be lookin good and functional in years to come.

How do you guys finish veg tan dyed for the outdoors?

Thanks!

Travis Poole

Bad Love Leather

In my case and its not very experienced so take it with a grain of salt but what I do is dye, oil with neats foot. Once that has dried overnight I will put on a few coats of leatherbalm with atom wax. After that has dried for overnight (I usually do a couple of coats, let it dry about 10min between coats then buff and apply, letting it sit over night really cures it good).

Then as a final coat I like sno-seal, from what I gather its similer to picards. Kind of like a thin soft wax, rub that in real good and let it sit up for a while. This stuff if the item is outside holds up pretty good and can be reapplyed by a customer. Just make sure its being used, if its sitting in the garage he wont need to reapply but once a year.

Fiebings even makes Leather Balm with Atom Wax in black. Just be sure to buff, then buff some more. Other than my own experience, I know the stuff works because I accidentally drowned one of Dave Theobald's seats on the way to a show (car trunk filled with water during a storm) and it dried fine and took a blue ribbon.

Johanna

I use Pecard's or Montana Pitchblend paste. Let it dry 24 in the boiler room (dry place); check in 12 hours and if it took it all and is dry, do another coat and wait 24. Two coats is the limit, one is usually sufficient. You can do both sides if necessary, but in that instance only one coat each side. If you want some shine, Leather Balm with Atom wax after the Pecard's drys, buff or brush and you're done.

Art

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted n a while. Some of you may know my work. I mostly do wallets, cuffs, and belts.

I am working on a tool bag for a customer. Nothing new but haven't done one like this. First off the customer wanted me to match an existing saddle bags basket weave. He sent me a photo and luckily enough I had the tool for the job. I picked up some veg tan from tandy that is about 9/10 oz. I dyed it all black with Fiebings Pro Oil dye. How should I finish this bag to look good the longest out doors? I didn;t get to know the customer well enough to understand how much he rode. he could be one of those once a month riders and the bag may only see day light every now and then but I like to put my pride in everything I do and need to know that this tool bag will be lookin good and functional in years to come.

How do you guys finish veg tan dyed for the outdoors?

Thanks!

Travis Poole

Bad Love Leather

Fiebings even makes Leather Balm with Atom Wax in black. Just be sure to buff, then buff some more. Other than my own experience, I know the stuff works because I accidentally drowned one of Dave Theobald's seats on the way to a show (car trunk filled with water during a storm) and it dried fine and took a blue ribbon.

Johanna

Have not seen that black atom wax product. Where can I buy it?

Here is the fruit of my labor. I have to say the tooling of the basket weave was difficult. This wa my fist attempt at it.

The bag is 9.5" wide 4.5" wide and 5" tall

9/10 oz veg tan bought at Tandy for $4 a square.

Oil dyed all the way through

I'm pleased about how it came. The customer is jazzed and I will getting paid for it Saturday.

Thoughts?

IMG_5295.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

post-5239-125385294456_thumb.jpg

post-5239-1253852979_thumb.jpg

post-5239-125385299812_thumb.jpg

Looks really good man. Customer should be happy.

It's an awesome bag man!

Loooks great

Great looking bag. Going to be making one myself in the new year, hope it looks half a s good as yours!

Tool bag looks awesome. One of these is on my list to do. Is that thing hand stitched? What process did you end up using for the finish?