Sign in to follow this  
Dink

Phone As Credit Card Terminal

Hello all,

I am searching for any advise or reccomendations available.

I am looking at the options to use a smart phone as a credit card terminal, does anyone have experience with this? I was looking at Squareup, and Intuit-gopayment.

Dink

Dink - There's another thread about Square up in one of the other subforums. If I remember correctly there were a handful of us that have started using Square and were happy with it. My wife just upgraded to a iphone 4gs and transactions go through even faster than they did on the 3gs.

I use the Square Up device on my 3G Android phone. It does what it is suppose to do and the fees are not outrageous. Just don't get fooled into paying for the device, it is free from Square Up, all you have to do is ask for it. I know Best Buy and Radio Shack sell it for $10 or so. I got mine through the mail in about three days.

Square Up will send your customer a receipt to either their cell phone or an email address (their choice). The customer also signs for the charge on your screen with their finger. 2.75% transaction fee for swipes, .15 cents and 3.5% transaction fee for inputting the number manually. Hope this helps.

I used Square a ton now (previously was only paypal only) and not only have I closed more deals but the amounts have been larger...not sure what folk's hang-up is with paypal but some just plain don't like it. Square is very easy to use, the equipment is free and the fees are pretty much inline with others.

I recently did a write-up on the benefits/drawbacks to online processors versus banks here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=37326

Chris,

I am one that hates PayPal. I think it is a total rip-off. I sold an item awhile back, sent an invoice to the customer, they paid from that invoice. The transaction cost over $20.00.

Bought an item, it was requested I pay via PayPal, I reluctantly have an account. They charged me $7.95.

I absolutely refuse to use them unless there is no other way.

ferg

I used Square a ton now (previously was only paypal only) and not only have I closed more deals but the amounts have been larger...not sure what folk's hang-up is with paypal but some just plain don't like it. Square is very easy to use, the equipment is free and the fees are pretty much inline with others.

I recently did a write-up on the benefits/drawbacks to online processors versus banks here:

http://leatherworker...showtopic=37326

I use Square and it makes people feel very at ease. I think some customers actually made a purchase just to see it work on my cell phone on site!

No monthly fees and, the equipment (plug in device) is free and as stated above "arrives in about 3 days".

Money is deposited that night in the account you choose.

Works great for my business.

I'd also recommend Square. I've been using them over 2 years now and have nothing but good experiences. They also send you a nice signage sticker for your booth/shop/whatever. Also, they let you accept AMEX without having to deal with all of AMEX's BS.

I use Square as well. I have had no issues with it whatsoever. It is a great service. The software has a cool feature that lets you track your inventory, so there's less paperwork at the end of the day.

I'd also recommend Square. I've been using them over 2 years now and have nothing but good experiences. They also send you a nice signage sticker for your booth/shop/whatever. Also, they let you accept AMEX without having to deal with all of AMEX's BS.

Yep, that is a great benefit and they do it for Discover cards as well. Points/Rewards card? Most banks charge a premium for any of those card types on top of the normal fee.

Not Square, same fee for any card or card type as long as it's acceptable. Only major drawback is the lack of website integration and no International cards (U.S. Only)....yet. ;)

Edited by Spinner

I too have recently signed up with Square and been happy. A guy from Square called a couple weeks after I got it to see if I had any questions since he noticed no activity yet. That is a plus, I don't HAVE to use it and doesn't cost me anything. . I won't be swiping many cards, but that added percent still makes it about even with Paypal fees I have had. The international guys still are going to have to do Paypal or wire transfers.

I use Paypal a bunch and will continue to offer it. After reading Ferg's experience I just went back and looked at four sample transactions off Paypal this week to see exactly what I was getting hit for in fees. Two are international and two are in the US.

International #1 - $375 invoice/$14.91 fees = about 3.96%

International #2 - $426 invoiced/16.91 fees = about 3.7%

US transaction #1 - $278 invoiced/$8.36 fees = 3%

US transaction #2 - $221 invoiced/$6.71 fees = 3%

I can live with that.

Years back the CC companies used to charge the vendor about 2% per transaction to accept their cards. Has this changed? Do you guys figure in the square fees and the CC fees into your price?

Joe,

This has changed a bunch. Some charge a lower percentage. They make up for it in monthly fees of around $30, fees for the terminal/reader (lease or buy), supplies like paper for the terminal, processing fees for batch reports, contracts, etc. Now with rewards cards it adds another twist. They can charge one rate for debit, another for credit, another for rewards cards, etc. Then add in MC at one rate, Visa another, another for Amex, another for Discover and each card can vary from 1.75-4% within the same processor. It never penciled out for me to commit to a processor before Square. Square has no monthly fee, no reader fee, no supplies. On the downside they currently only accept cards within the US and receipts are sent to the customer's cell phone or email - no direct printing unless you do it on an IPad as I understand it.

Thanks Bruce. It sounds like a good deal. I dont have one of the new fangled "smart" phones, but have priced data packages. Now I just need to find a phone that Verizon and Square support. Verizon hasnt been too helpful in that regard.

Thanks Bruce. It sounds like a good deal. I dont have one of the new fangled "smart" phones, but have priced data packages. Now I just need to find a phone that Verizon and Square support. Verizon hasnt been too helpful in that regard.

Joe,

Square will work on just about any Android phone Verizon has.

https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/156594-what-devices-does-square-work-with-

Joe,

Square will work on just about any Android phone Verizon has.

https://help.squareu...uare-work-with-

Thanks. I have read that page but since I have never owned a smart phone, I know nothing about them. Last thing I wanted to do was buy an expensive phone and find out it didnt work. I have heard you can just swap the sims card from phone to phone but once again I am not sure if I can swap from my present phone to an android. I have a lot to learn about these phones and the service.

Verizon should be helpful enough in teaching you the basics of how to use a smart phone. As far as square goes, they have tutorials on their site that should get you up to speed.