esantoro

Ralph Lauren woman's bag that gives me goosebumps

Here it is: Inspiration for The Lady Maverick (aka "Calamity Jane").

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Love that leather. Ralph Lauren puts out some very nice bags from time to time that put Hermes and Louis Vuitton to shame.

Now I'm off to the Ralph Lauren website for more inspiration.

ed

I don't like that bag. Everytime you'd need to get into it, you'd have to undo two buckles and straps. Not practical at all. It doesn't look big enough to hold all a woman's junk and a paperback, either. Depth looks good- width doesn't. The hardware with the fancy "R.L." initials is gaudy. Does it even have a shoulder strap? I like the short handles, but they wouldn't be helpful to me. I don't have a free hand to carry my purse and looping it in my elbow is uncomfortable after awhile. The inside pocket is okay, but just one? With no give? In the zippered pocket of my purse are my lifesavers, flash drive, tape measure, chapstick, extra hairbands etc. I need some room to get all that crap in there so I can find it. I like a couple of open pockets so I can find my camera and my cell phone and my MP3 player etc.

You can do better, Ed. I like you clean classic and sensible styling.

Johanna

I guess the beauty of these purses is in the eye of the beholder. I recently had a customer send me a Louis Vitton purse, valued at $900, and wanted me to cut it up and put pieces of it on some holsters. I drug my feet a bit before doing it and questioned him probably 15-20 times, making sure he wanted me to do that. He did, and so we did. BTW, those LV purses have some really cheap internals and manufacturing....

I'll clean it up.

Simplify.

Do a shoulder strap.

Make it larger but keep the proportions.

I've got very similar solid brass and nickled solid brass locks from England coming this week.

Two buckles will have to stay, but the bag can close with just the lock.

I'll do wrap around straps.

I can do it it skirting or bridle leather.

I'll have an external back pocket that will hide the stitching for my two large internal pockets. MAybe I'll do two internal side pockets on the gussets.

I've wanted to do a bag inspired by what Hermes does, but wasn't able to see my way to it. RL has bridged that gap for me.

I might do my first few in some green chrome tanned that's nice but maybe not quite right for prime time.

RL has a more simplified version on its website.

I also want to do a simple tote similar to this coach bag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230350920365

Ed

I don't like that bag. Everytime you'd need to get into it, you'd have to undo two buckles and straps. Not practical at all. It doesn't look big enough to hold all a woman's junk and a paperback, either. Depth looks good- width doesn't. The hardware with the fancy "R.L." initials is gaudy. Does it even have a shoulder strap? I like the short handles, but they wouldn't be helpful to me. I don't have a free hand to carry my purse and looping it in my elbow is uncomfortable after awhile. The inside pocket is okay, but just one? With no give? In the zippered pocket of my purse are my lifesavers, flash drive, tape measure, chapstick, extra hairbands etc. I need some room to get all that crap in there so I can find it. I like a couple of open pockets so I can find my camera and my cell phone and my MP3 player etc.

You can do better, Ed. I like you clean classic and sensible styling.

Johanna

Edited by esantoro

I fixed a lot of Coach and Vitton and other designer handbags when we had the shop, and I don't see the quality of the workmanship improving. Cheap hardware, cheap leather or fake leather trim and panels, flimsy snaps and straps- junk. High priced junk. And the ladies wanted them repaired. They carry them for the prestige of the logo and because they match their outfit, not because the bag is practical. Keep me posted with what you come up with, Ed.

~J

I fixed a lot of Coach and Vitton and other designer handbags when we had the shop, and I don't see the quality of the workmanship improving. Cheap hardware, cheap leather or fake leather trim and panels, flimsy snaps and straps- junk. High priced junk. And the ladies wanted them repaired. They carry them for the prestige of the logo and because they match their outfit, not because the bag is practical. Keep me posted with what you come up with, Ed.

~J

I like at least Hermes history of tradition. Who knows how 90 percent of their stuff is actually produced. There are only a handful of designs I find inspirational. As I do my own thing with those designs, I have to find my way of doing it with two machines and handstitching. I believe that this ultimately leads to sturdier construction overall. My manufacturing processes also lead me to using 346 and 277 thread, which many of the big companies don't use in their desire to always cut costs. The big companies also frequently use leather that has had the top grain altered for conformity of color and texture, which I think weakens the overall integrity of the leather. My leather purchasing ability doesn't allow me to travel the world to find such leather, which forces me to by bridle and skirting leather that is thicker and stronger. Simple, it appears, is better. I wonder how much Hermes, Luis Vuitton, and Ralph Lauren actually pay per sq. ft for their leather. Are they paying less than $6?

Because I'm forced out of necessity towards simplifying construction methods, I think in certain areas I can build a better bag inspired by some of the fabulous designs these big companies come up with from time to time.

These woman's bag in 5/6 oz bridle leather will be a bit heavier, but they will last forever.

ed

That first bag is a no go for me too. WAY to much effort to get into - those straps look like they have to go through the top flap before you can buckle them.

I need a new purse and I don't know what I want - found a couple at the goodwill store - hate hate hate the first one (messanger bag style) one big hole and you can't find anything (has Tinkerbell on the flap-- would Jane want it Johanna?)

the second I also found at goodwill - one of those ones that you see on tv that say you can fit a million pounds of stuff in one tiny bag ---riiiiight http://www.travelonbags.com/pages/XXXXX/200/283.2245.html

it will work for awhile.

till I find something else I might like.

oh well they were cheap (and both were new with tags on them)

Ed, I like both bags you posted. Our job is to improve on the weakness that others pointed out because there is nothing we can do about the name recognition (at least 30%-50% of price). I finished a tote this week from Bruce Johnson's book (that he posted here). It was great for sizing but, I changed the handles and closure (used one from Snap here on LW.net). Should have posted pic. Doing another for a local interior designer and actually going through a prototype cycle. I seem to have to do a little carving accent "somewhere" on a bag or I just don't feel right.

One problem I'm running into is the weight of bags. Women think they are tooo heavy using chap and sturdy straps & hardware. Guess I have to find stronger women[lol.

Regis

Just finished some Hermes bag recon on Ebay.

Question: For marketing purposes, could one call skirting leather Barenia leather, which looks to me like a supple skirting or bridle leather?

ed

Hey Ed what is barenia leather, I looked it up and have scene several different types (atleast looked that way to me) of leather that was called that but nothing to describe what it actually was.

To my best of knowledge, Hermes makes the Birken bag right in Paris and it is hand crafted and HAND STITCHED, Louis Viutton is actually not leather... and I am not just talking about the knock offs!

I guess you can make what you want and call it what you want, just dont call it someone elses!

I have a lot of respect for Ralph Lauren after I heard he donated $13 million to have "old glory" restored. That's a cool use of money.

The designer, who has been rhapsodizing about all things distressed and crackled since well before it became fashionable. "I believe in long-term things that last": broken-in saddles, split-rail fences, patched sweaters, frayed shirts — and a certain frayed flag, the Star-Spangled Banner.

Lauren believes so much in the 195-year-old icon that inspired the national anthem that 10 years ago his company, Polo Ralph Lauren, donated $13 million toward its preservation.

The flag was painstakingly cleaned by technicians by pressing 1-inch square sponges against the broad stripes and dirt-dulled stars, which stretch as wide as a highway billboard. It will be dedicated Wednesday in its newly refurbished home, the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. (The total Star-Spangled Banner project, including its reconstructed gallery, cost close to $30 million.)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/fas...uren-flag_N.htm

Steve

"Barenia" is probably a term used by Hermes when they were using this leather. The RL bag referenced earlier would be considered of "Barenia" leather, which to me looks like a supple veg tanned calf or cow leather. I think this leather was more common in the 70's and is similar to a type of leather I've been looking for for a long time. It probably requires a costly tanning process.

Here is another bag of "Barenia" leather.

ed

Hey Ed what is barenia leather, I looked it up and have scene several different types (atleast looked that way to me) of leather that was called that but nothing to describe what it actually was.

barenia1.JPG

post-853-1246823334_thumb.jpg

Edited by esantoro

unfortunately I have to agree that people buy this stuff due to the name to brag they own one. Im sure at one time these companies in the beginning of there existance was a quality bag. unfortunately the quality goes away when quantity kicks in. Ive fixed many of the so called name brand bags n its poor quality materials. Ive fixed them shortly after purchase because its one of those bag parties n they dont want the hassle of returning it. its funny how someone will pay 100.00 n to the 1000s for a name when us lowly struggling leatherworkers can make a better quality item that will last past the credit card clearing. Id be shocked if someone actually paid me 500 to build a purse for them actually id faint. I know theres some on here that get big bucks for there stuff but unfortunately I have the bad luck curse and I have to nearly plead to get the prices i do get(cheap a** people). I keep saying someday Ill have a name-- other than zipper queen lol.

The RL bag sold for $1500.

I have a friend who bought a "coach" bag at one of those parties

She hasn't had the reall chance to carry it becase she is on the THIRD return

The first two just about fell apart in her hands when she got it.

Quality is not in a "name"

We have a 'designer' bag shop just around the corner from us, and it has proved to be a good source of repair work! We are forever replacing rivets, studs and buckles, and re-stitching seams.

I think the owner of the shop has given up on sending the bags back to the manufacturers . . . she either sends the customers to us, or brings the bags in herself.

I was in Rome recently, and took this picture on the Spanish Steps. The place was littered with 'designer' goods shops which disappeared like morning mist when the polizia walked by!

Rome.jpg

post-7199-1246874317_thumb.jpg

unfortunately I have to agree that people buy this stuff due to the name to brag they own one. Im sure at one time these companies in the beginning of there existance was a quality bag. unfortunately the quality goes away when quantity kicks in. Ive fixed many of the so called name brand bags n its poor quality materials. Ive fixed them shortly after purchase because its one of those bag parties n they dont want the hassle of returning it. its funny how someone will pay 100.00 n to the 1000s for a name when us lowly struggling leatherworkers can make a better quality item that will last past the credit card clearing. Id be shocked if someone actually paid me 500 to build a purse for them actually id faint. I know theres some on here that get big bucks for there stuff but unfortunately I have the bad luck curse and I have to nearly plead to get the prices i do get(cheap a** people). I keep saying someday Ill have a name-- other than zipper queen lol.

I think that anyone that buys their "name brand" bag at a bag party is probably getting a fake bag and that would explain the lack of quality in it.