Sign in to follow this  
HoosierQ

RIP for old style Barge?

I have had great results with the original, yellow labeled Barge Cement. All I can get is the new Blue labeled stuff (sans Toluene). So far it has worked pretty well in terms of sticking but it is a different consistency and takes a second coat more often than the original. The sad thing is that I just found the original about 18 months ago.

At any rate, is the Blue labeled stuff all we're going to be able to get? Does it work well for you all that use it? Does it work as well as the yellow label?

Thanks.

Hoosier

Where did you buy this new Blue Barge? Why don't you google up Barge All purpose cement and contact the company and find out if this is a regional thing or what?

Let me know

Tim

I think this must be a regional thing. The old Barge is still available here (at least it was the last time I went to Tandy). Masters cement which is also available here at Tandy is as good or better than the old Barge. I have been told that Weld Wood which is available at Home Depot and Lowes is even better, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Well regarding Dap Weldwood. I have it and use it. It has some drawbacks. It is much thinner than Barge and seeps through holes if pre-punched a lot quicker than Barge. It also almost always requires two coats and the requisite 20 minute drying time for each coat. Once stuck together, the bond takes MUCH longer than Barge to set up properly. In fact, it was the guys at Tandy that recommended Weldwood to me. So it is a common product. Its formulation is much like Barge's in that it has Toluene.

I will say that there are also a lot of similarities in that it comes off with Acetone easily and nothing that I have put together with Weldwood has come apart...so that's good. Bottom line: It works. I was just so spoiled when I first tried Barge that I'm...well...spoiled.