Cobra Steve of Leather Machine Co. has put together an informational page about Skiving Machines with a video too! Thanks for sharing, Steve!

Leather Skiving Machines are very powerful tools to bevel the edges of leather from the lightest weights up to heaviest 14/16 oz. hides. Producing a beautifully smooth and uniform flat or beveled edge is easy as the feed wheel effortlessly pulls the leather through the bell knife. The width, depth and shape of the skiving are easily adjustable by the operator in any amount. You can remove just the roughness from the flesh or hair side, or take off a huge amount and thin out a 1/4” thickness down to as thin as tissue paper.

Johanna,

I believe the video is on sewing machines.

ferg

Hey Guys,

I know this is a little off topic, but I wanted your input on what would be the best tool for skiving. I learned my techniques when I studied Shoemaking and I just started my own handmade leather purse company. Right now am using upholstery leather and skiving by hand with a leather skiving knife (Osborne 925). For my biggest purse, which is about 6 sqft of leather it took 3 hours and 30 blades to skive. I am wondering how professionals do it? Do they use something more similar to the skiving machine you guys are referring to? I am open to any suggestions. Thank you

Gianina of http://www.well-loved.com

A Bottom feed Bell Skiver is probably the best bet. I still use a skiving knife for intricate stuff, but for long runs, the bell skiver is best. Bob Beard makes the best Skiving Knife, but I have one of Terry Knipschield's that is very good also. A good bleeding sharp head knife will work ok, but the real skiving knives are better.

Art

My skiver has both top and bottom feed, I would need to use a single feed to be sure that was the best way.

Anyone considering one of these machines should know that other than the Fortuna, almost all of the machines on the market are exactly the same with different names on them.

Fortuna is certainly the one that has been copied the most with at least one glaring difference. Just check out the photos of the different makes you will see the difference immediately.

I also have several hand skiving knives I use to clean up corners mostly. That I do with a French Edger at times.

ferg

Hi,

You might find the first 9 pages of this manual to be of a lot of help operating, and maintaining your skiver

http://www.ou.edu/ao...r Model 10A.pdf

Also, here is a skiving machine trouble shooting chart should be helpful to all!

Skiver Troubleshooting.pdf

Edited by Northmount
Replaced photbucket 3rd party non-viewable link for trouble shooting

My grandfather was a harness maker, and had a straight blade lap skiver for doing harness joins. I make leather polishing belts for lapidary work, and do all my lap skives by hand. This is getting old quick when I get large orders. Does anybody know where I can get a lap skiver? One I remember had a big blade with a handle that was pulled. The harness was clamped into the machine.

Woody

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowboy-Leather-Skiver-Machine-in-SLEEK-LIGHT-GRAY-/281596550073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4190765bb9 here you go. I'm sure there are lots of other places, too. Tandy has one for a lot of more many and there is a fellow on the board (forgot the name though) who would be able to get you one as well.