Sign in to follow this  
Kyleather

Got A Few Questions About Dyeing?

I need to start with some background info first, I am making a bracer out of a piece of a belt blank. I have got my Ecoflow timber brown dye and have practiced on a few pieces of scrap to determine how much dye to use to get the color I want. So my questions are.... Do I need to do anything to the edges of the leather? Do I dye the backside of the leather? And finally what is a good coating to put on the bracer on top of the dye? I will be wearing it outdoors alot, and sweating on it and possible rain, so I need something thats going to repel water, but I don't want a real polished look to it. Thanks for any and all info.

Kyleather, I've never made a bracer, but I would think it should have the edge treatment. My best advice on edging is to go to the "How do I do it" section and find Bob Parks (HidePounder) Finishing Edges Tutorial and follow his advice. It is primo. A far as dying the inside, I myself, would advise against it. Sweat will make anything bleed, except, "vinegar black". My "waterproof", finishing treatment is a home-made brew gleaned from "Dwight" and it is a dandy. By weight, not volume,.....1 part beeswax, 1 part parafin wax (canning wax available at any grocery or wal-mart, 1 part neatsfoot oil. Heat mixture on stove and melt and mix together. Pour into a small container like a empty tuna can or the like. Let it solidify. After leather is dyed and set for 24 hrs, rub this well into the leather (outside smooth part) and then buff. Bod-a-bing....waterproof, don't stink, ain't sticky and isn't shiny and won't crack. Do this ever-so-often. Other leather workers may have other ideas. Pick-ur-poison and enjoy!!!!!! Hope this helps and welcome. Semper-fi Mike