I'm looking for any/all info on this saddle. My dad purchased a couple years ago & it's stamped "King Ranch" on both stirrup fenders & on the saddle-bag flaps. I am familiar with King Ranch but curious as to # of saddles in circulation, approximate age, historical value, and any other info available. It's in great shape- though in need of good cleaning. One of the bag flaps has had the stamp cut out of it. The saddle hasn't been disassembled but would there be a number or maker mark to be found anywhere (other than the marks previously mentioned)? Thanks!

Andt

post-46020-0-53438100-1385179644_thumb.j

post-46020-0-40883000-1385179669_thumb.j

post-46020-0-20368700-1385179695_thumb.j

post-46020-0-13466500-1385179713_thumb.j

It's pretty narrow by today's KRS standards so it's probably quite mature (polite pretty old). With the big turned back swell fork that further dates it to the late 40's early 50's era. I've seen a picture of a King Ranch cutting horse being ridden in such a rig and it's B&W and 50's. Your other questions I don't know. Have you tried just calling the shop, they still put out a catalog but it mainly features high end furnishings and luggage.

PS

I think I really like your hobbles.

Thanks alot for the info oltoot! I'm supposed to send pics to them so they mat better able to provide info. I receive their catalog & you're correct about their products.

Thanks as well for comment on hobbles. They work great & are used quite often. IMO all horses benefit from being hobble-broke. Wish I could say I made 'em lol

Hi, my family is from South Texas near the King Ranch. One of my best friends is head of security for the King Ranch. He might be willing to help you track down some more info. If you are interested in pursuing this, please send me your email (post here or private message) and I'll send that to my friend and have him contact you if he can help.

Thanks TZ! I sent you my email via PM.

Western saddles were undergoing changes, to help sales of course. They went from the slick A fork to the extreme fork. Forks like on this saddle were not good if roping as the rope could wind up under the fork. On the other hand if a horse was pretty fresh in the morning they helped the cowboy stay in the saddle. Those same forks were also an asset in rough country. My Simco roper, made in 1958. has the same cantle. It seems as the forks got wider the cantles got lower. It was tho't at the time that a low cantle would make for a faster dismount.

Many thanks to Doug (TZHunter) & Gary Robinette for the interest & information on this saddle!! I will share with readers some of it...

"Your saddle was built between 1945 and 1955 by one of two Master Saddle Makers working for King Ranch … Mr. Jimenez or Mr. Ramirez. Robert’s father-in-law (Guillermo “Willie” Guevara) was also a saddle maker at that time, but he worked primarily on chaps and other leather goods. The logo on your saddle is the 4th logo used on King Ranch saddles and we are currently stamping them with the eighth 8th logo. The ranch changes them about every 20 years. Your saddle is a Dick Kleberg Working Saddle and it is still being produced today. He said that the stirrup leather and fenders on your saddle are unique in design to that particular saddle and that unlike today it probably came complete with all the accessories … saddle bags, rear cinch, taps and breast collar. Now they are usually order separately. The saddle horn is what he called a Pelican design. He said that your saddle when it was purchased new was about $350.00. Today the same saddle would cost you about $3500.00"

So great to realize some history on this saddle! Thanks again!

Saddlebag- thank you for sharing your information & interest in this post. The undercut swells are great for "locking in" & the the cantle isn't a hi-back the seat has a nice pocket. I can see where a roper wouldn't care for the cut of the pommel though as you said, it's great for fresh/green horses & rough country. Definitely an all-day saddle!

Edited by AndyH