Wenny

Ladies Astride Saddle?

Picked this up the other day at a thrift shop. It cleaned up really well, and while it still has a way to go (new brass saddle horn and hardware, new fleece, stirrup leathers and etc) I'm really pleased with my bargain.

I'm thinking it's an Astride saddle based on comparison to the pictures in Russel Beatie's book, "Saddles", pg 114. Haven't been able to find much online. I've ordered a back issue of Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal that has an article on Astride saddles, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Can't find a maker's mark anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone here could help me with the usuals: age, maker, etc.

post-50544-0-58209800-1394649553_thumb.jpost-50544-0-44907600-1394649596_thumb.j

Looks Spanish or Portuguese to me. And I doubt that it ever had a horn. May I ask what you paid? I can't see where there is hardware to replace other than the little turrets and rings for tying things behind the cantle. A saddle like this would not have cinched down with rigging rings like a western saddle but with straps like an English Saddle. And then there is the hook thing for holding the stirrup leathers. I've seen them somewhere, I just can't remember where. They were used on a lot military stuff. I have also seen an adapter that three buckles a dee ring to that type of rigging so it can be used with western cinches & tie straps. Yes it was quite a find

I took some more pictures. You can see that there was a horn. I've seen pictures of similar saddles with horns and without, but the lacing and gap does not appear unless there is/was a horn. I'm sure when I remove the lacing and piece of plastic inserted in there, I'll see the mounting holes where the metal saddle horn was. I just hope I can find one to replace it.

post-50544-0-88402800-1394728852_thumb.j

There is a western-style rigging underneath as you can see here. The stirrup leathers hang from a metal bar like english stirrups, but the stirrups themselves (at least from what I've seen in the few pictures I've found) were wooden western-style, sometimes with a small tapadero covering.

post-50544-0-57969300-1394728875_thumb.j

At some point in its history, someone repaired this saddle with assortment of roofing and other nails. I'd like to replace those with ones more in keeping with the time period of the piece, so that they all match. That's what I meant by replacing hardware. Maybe I used the wrong term. I'm new to this.

I paid $34 and another $17 shipping. Not to bad, I think!

Here's another picture showing the underside (with tatty fleece).

post-50544-0-54427800-1394729049_thumb.j

Verry interesting! The additional pictures are helpful. Now I would revise my guesses, and that's all they are, a bit. I still am going to stick with my Spanish or Portuguese 'look' but made for the US market and who's to say that it wasn't made in the USA by someone who had mastered those techniques. The rigging is obviously original from the marks on the underside of the leg flaps. I will have to dig out my old catalogue collection and go looking. OBTW, if it were for any market other than the US, it wouldn't have sheepskin but stuffed pads. At $54 total investment, dont be surprised if they come and arrest you for thievery?

I found some pictures in an old issue of Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal from Dec 2003 that have pictures of a saddle exactly like this one! Mine doesn't have the RT Frazier stamp, but otherwise it's a perfect match. I was right -- it's an astride saddle from around 1914-1928.

IMG_20140313_185939_249.jpg

I also contacted Myron Razor at Hillcrest Saddlery (http://www.hillcrestsaddlery.com/saddles.php) because he had some saddles were similar and he said "You are correct in that this is an "Astride" style saddle-also known as a "Canby". It is a very lovely and interesting piece and appears to be in unusually good condition. It would be considered to be in the "Plantation" genre of saddles."

Restoring it is beyond my humble skills, and it doesn't fit my horse anyway, so I guess I'll see if I can find a buyer -- who won't get quite as good a deal as I did, but will be lucky all the same!

Thank you for your help and input. It's nice to have a resource where we can share information and help each other out.

post-50544-0-77104900-1394825429_thumb.j