Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

I Feel A Bit Stupid Asking This

I have not really come across oil tan skins very often and would love to have some for working on a few waterproof goods, mainly pouches and things. Maybe even a shirt...

If you can share your resources that would maybe help but My real question is, is there anyway to make oil tanned skins at home, If so, what leather do I need to start with, both ideally and in a pinch.

What sort of oil blends compliment the leather as opposed to destroying it?

And how would I go about it.

I suspect I would need to soak it in an air tight vessel for a number of days or weeks to let it really soak in.

But then, how do you clean it up to make it not rub oil onto everything it touches.

I have not really come across oil tan skins very often and would love to have some for working on a few waterproof goods, mainly pouches and things. Maybe even a shirt...

If you can share your resources that would maybe help but My real question is, is there anyway to make oil tanned skins at home, If so, what leather do I need to start with, both ideally and in a pinch.

I suspect I would need to soak it in an air tight vessel for a number of days or weeks to let it really soak in.

But then, how do you clean it up to make it not rub oil onto everything it touches.

Oil tan for a shirt is not a realy good idea buckskin or elk is a better way buffalo is also very good

The name "oil tan" is deceptive. There are certain types of hot wax and hot oils that are added to the tanning

process of this leather. It is not simply dunked in oil. If you did dunk it in oil it would require a time for the excess

oil to drain from the hide, even if it did drain properly you would in fact rub oil on everything you touched. You need

to purchase a piece of the oil tan to see what it actually is and what the name means.

The Lakotaman is right don't make a shirt by dunking it in oil. You will have one huge mess.

Tandy sells a bunch of it. Order the utility grade and play with a piece of it.

First of all there is no such thing as water proof leather. You can get water resistance. I know you can seal leather but leather need to breath just like you skin