jcart

What model of Singer Leather Treadle is this?

Hi Everyone,

I have an old Singer Leather Treadle machine (my dad's) that I would like to get running if possible, for personal projects. Do you think it is worth while?? I'm trying to find manuals, parts list and any other information that would assist in me getting it going, but as yet have not been able to find any info. In searching the Singer website, it appears the machine is old as there is no data for it. As I recall the serial number indicates manufacure date of the 1870's (I think), I have included some pix of the machine and any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Singerleathertread1.jpg

Singerleathertread2.jpg

jrc

post-7325-1220544299_thumb.jpg

post-7325-1220544336_thumb.jpg

That looks very much like the Singer 29K58 that I was just inquiring about. But yours looks even older than mine along the top rocker arm. I found a manual online at the Smithsonian Museum website! Managed to get it printed out, too. I can't recall just how i searched their archives, but I could check my copies for a web location. I think we might have machines left over from the Iron Age.

Daggrim

The model 29 was introduced around 1920, your serial number indicated manufacture in 1889. This would be considered an antique and you might want to ask in one of the the antique Singer collectors groups.

Art

Hi Everyone,

I have an old Singer Leather Treadle machine (my dad's) that I would like to get running if possible, for personal projects. Do you think it is worth while?? I'm trying to find manuals, parts list and any other information that would assist in me getting it going, but as yet have not been able to find any info. In searching the Singer website, it appears the machine is old as there is no data for it. As I recall the serial number indicates manufacure date of the 1870's (I think), I have included some pix of the machine and any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Singerleathertread1.jpg

Singerleathertread2.jpg

jrc

Daggrim,

Shall do a search of the Smithsonian Museum website....thanks.

Art,

Thanks for the clarification of manufacture date and will do a search on Singer antique collectors groups.

Are you aware of anyone that has used one of these and if it's even worth trying to get working?

Thanks again,

jrc

Make sure you check out the replies to my post about the Singer 29K58 machine. There is a huge resource base there. Especially the http://shoerepairer.info group in the UK.

Dag

That's the early version of the 29 when they were known as the UFA (Universal Feed Arm). You can find out more information here

http://www.needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.php?album=45

Anybody can view the picture gallery, but you'll have to sign up to the forum to read the topic about that machine.

Daggrim thanks again and will check it out.

torrbuidhe....HOLY...those are the first pix I have seen of my machine, thanks ever so much for the info and link. For sometime have been looking for info (about a year) off and on and this is the first specific info and pix I have seen!! was actually getting disheartend thanks again.....

jrc

Glad to help, hope you get the machine going :thumbsup:

There's a lot of information on the Needlebar site.

The model 29 was introduced around 1920, your serial number indicated manufacture in 1889. This would be considered an antique and you might want to ask in one of the the antique Singer collectors groups.

Art

Art,

this is a Singer UFA which stood for Universal Feed Arm, the original name for the shoe patcher. Singer began building these machines in 1883. In 1896, the changed the name of the machine to a 29 class as they did with most machines. They went from names to numbers for the machines and subclasses. Your's is a UFA and it uses the same bobbins , needles and hook as any 29 class. Yours even has the old style bobbin winder. Hope that helps.

I have the same model but a few years newer(1894). Yours is a 1889 Model. I also have the original owners manual and the bill of sale dated Nov 1986 in San Francisco. It sold for $75. It's a great sewing machine for tight places but the microscopic bobbin is a pain in the rear.I don't think you can kill these machines just oil them and go. They are built like Rolls Royces. If you are interested in the manual I can scan it and send it to you.

Bayard

Well, there's a concidence for you!

I just brought one of these home today, and was about to post something asking what it was, since it's clearly not a 29. Mine was manufactured around 1877 and is in startlingly good condition for a 130+ year-old machine.

IMG_7587.JPG IMG_7588.JPG IMG_7590.JPG IMG_7595.JPG IMG_7597.JPG IMG_7598.JPG

Given that the needlebar site has been effectively locked away from the rest of the world by its admin and is closed both to new registrations and locked out from non-registered members, I'd love to know anything about this type of machine.

Mine appears to be complete. It has a shuttle, bobbin, table, and treadle stand. I plan on getting it sewing again, but I'm not sure I'll use it much given how old it is and the condition it's in.

post-13283-126976900604_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126976900996_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126976901859_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126976902336_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126976902696_thumb.jpg

post-13283-126976903806_thumb.jpg

Bayard,

I would love to get a copy of the original manual if you can scan it. I have most of the manuals for the singer shoe patchers. What does the title page of your maual say on it?

shoepatcher

I have the same model but a few years newer(1894). Yours is a 1889 Model. I also have the original owners manual and the bill of sale dated Nov 1986 in San Francisco. It sold for $75. It's a great sewing machine for tight places but the microscopic bobbin is a pain in the rear.I don't think you can kill these machines just oil them and go. They are built like Rolls Royces. If you are interested in the manual I can scan it and send it to you.

Bayard

I too would love a scan of the manual for this machine.

Thanks.

Thank you. Let me know when you have the scan ready.

I too would love a scan of the manual for this machine.

Thanks.

Bayard,

I would love to get a copy of the original manual if you can scan it. I have most of the manuals for the singer shoe patchers. What does the title page of your maual say on it?

shoepatcher

Bayard,

shoepatcher

Bayard, Are you trying to attach the scan to those posts you just made?

If they're bouncing because it's too big, you can email it to me on silver at where dot else dot net dot nz and I'll stick it up on my website for people to download if you want.

I need to make a correction of a earlier post . My receipt is dated 1894. This is it's manual dated May 10, 1894 Instructions for using the SINGER sewing machine, No.29 (universal feed arm) Please send me your email address if you want a copy as I can't figure out this site. Bayard email: jeffcairn@yahoo.com

Just wanted to bring this back up as it's been a while.... since I last visited. I would really appreciate obtaining any parts manual and operation manual for this machine. It belonged to my dad and he was never able to obtain information so as to put it into operation. He passed away last year at 87 years old so there is sentimental impetus for me to get this machine operational. In addition my wife has taken an interest in Black Powder shooting in the last few years and I have been making a few items by hand and with a leather machine would be fun too.

thanks,

jrc