jpless77

Leather Stretch While Stamping

I've found recently, while weave (basket and tri pattern) stamping some wallets, that after completion the once perfect square or rectangle is now distorted and stretched. Can anyone offer some hints or tips to prevent this? Thanks in advance.

To prevent or at least minimize leather stretch while stamping always attach non corrugated cardboard to the back of the item you are tooling. When doing so, use a tacky glue or rubber cement to reduce the pull when separating these pieces. Another trick is to use packing tape to prevent stretch, I use both of these and have no problem.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I've used the methods above, but I've settled on self adhesive shelf paper, I buy it in rolls, not the temporary stick stuff it doesn't hold well. Works great for this and for minimizing dye on the backside when it is not desired.

Chief

Thanks Chief!

With the rubber cement, do you apply it to one or both surfaces? Ive used Parcel tape (and then double sided tape to stick it down) and other types of tape but it leaves the gunk behind on the leather when I peel it off. Is there any way to prevent this? Does the rubber cement peel off cleanly? Thanks.

I've started to use painters or "frog" tape on the back of my projects to prevent stretch & dye on the backside when its not wanted, that works well for me & doesn't leave any gunk behind

Jax, Thanks for that, I have some of the frog tape but haven't used it for that purpose yet. I'll give it a try. I assumed there wouldn't be enough tac from masking tape.

I did have one brand of clear parcel tape that worked well but I can't remember where I got it from! Every other tape I tried since left gunk.

Fingers crossed for the frog tape :)

Another method that I use is to first get the piece to as close of a shape as possible, then lightly mark the border with a scribe so I can stamp/tool to within about 1/4". Once the tooling is complete, I reassess the shape of the piece (fender, jockey, skirt etc.) recut the shape to meet the original intent and then finish the border of the piece. That way I am not using glue, tape of what have you on the piece, which can be a pain on some of the saddle parts I tool. Just another option for you to consider. Bob

With the rubber cement, do you apply it to one or both surfaces? Ive used Parcel tape (and then double sided tape to stick it down) and other types of tape but it leaves the gunk behind on the leather when I peel it off. Is there any way to prevent this? Does the rubber cement peel off cleanly? Thanks.

If you put rubber cement on both pieces and let it tack dry first, it acts like contact cement!! Very permanent.

Rubber cement and X-ray film for heavy embossing

Do you apply the rubber cement only to the film? Ive been using Frog tape as was suggested.