Sign in to follow this  
PeterD

New member also

Just wanted to say hello. I signed up last night but needed to get my tail back into my studio to continue working on a knife sheath for a friend and a new set of arrows.

I started with leather working back in the mid-eighties with knife sheaths. And while I don't do it professionally, I have, over the years, made sheaths, quivers, holsters, chaps, boxes, jacks, belts, shields, armour and a couple of what I laughingly refer to as art pieces. (When they passed out talent, I was off looking for a beer or something. For certain I was not in the room.) I also have a day set aside each month for people to come over to learn leatherworking. My normal procedure is for them to work on whatever they want and then just show them the techniques they need to complete it.

I may copy a style, but do all my own patterns since I originally got into sheathmaking because I find a lot of good knives but very few sheaths that are as functional as I like. The same goes for quivers.

Some of my recent completed projects are: Art Vincent styled target archery quiver, 14th century crossbow quiver from Phoebus Graeme's "Book of the Hunt", 12th century pouch and a childs quiver decorated like a castle tower. My three personnel quivers are: 1) loosely based on the back quiver from the Bayoux tapestry. 2) a side quiver I call my saddle gun quiver since that is what it looks like. 3) Hunting quiver that while covered with a basket weave pattern is designed to be functiional more than pretty.

My next project will be a leather buckler for my rapier fighting. I also may need to replace our matched set of drageon carved leather jacks.

I look forward to meeting the people here and trading ideas.

If I get a chance and can figure it out I will try to post a couple of things I have done.

When they passed out talent, I was off looking for a beer or something.

:NEWFUNNYPOST: Peter, it's good to have you here -- welcome! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Alex

I look forward to seeing some photos of your work. Welcome!

Welcome Peter. Glad to have you here participating

Welcome Peter!

The forum is nice and friendly and people are very helpful.

Looking forward to see some stuff from you!

Tom

I remembered I had a couple of pictures on my cell phone of the latest quiver I did for a friend. Hopefully you can see the two pictures. An interesting side note is that when I finished it I put my arrows in it and it didn't hang right. Then I remembered that I use 29" arrows and the lady uses 24" arrows. After I switched to my wifes 24" arrows the quiver hung just right. I guess that is why they call it custom work.

e_quiver_total_view.JPG

e_quiver_close_up.JPG

post-6035-1204059807_thumb.jpg

post-6035-1204059825_thumb.jpg

Peter

Welcome aboard. Sharp looking quiver!

Randy

Peter, :welcome: Nice Quiver... I think you will like it here! (It's hard talking leather to normal people!) :)

Hi Peter nice work and welcome to the site we are glad you found us, Don