Sign in to follow this  
wizard of tragacanth

Need Unwaxed Linen Thread Info...

Okay, so I have read some posts about waxing one's own thread with home-brew rosin. I'm gonna give this a shot. I ordered beeswax and amber resin, now I need to find some thread for hand-stitching.

Couple of questions...

I have heard Barbours 5-cord touted as the best linen thread available for holster making. It is available from Campbell-Bosworth, however, it comes only in white with left-twist. Product # TH-BR5LNT @ $51

Campbell-Bosworth also sells Hungarian linen thread, also 5-cord, left-twist BUT it is available in black and is about half the price of the Barbours thread. Product # TH-LN5LBK

@ $25

Link to Campbell-Bosworth linen thread selection: http://www.campbell-...q5o8mgjeut4ef76

Does Campbell-Bosworth sell to individuals? If so, which product should I choose. I need black but I would suppose that white thread can be dyed with leather dye. If C-B does not sell to individuals, can you recommend another source?

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Barbours is tried and true and works very well. I personally use 6 cord myself. As far as colors well dye it whatever color you want. You can dye it before waxing and doing the tips. As far as the price I imagine that there is a reason that it is half the price. Either the amount or the quality. The amount you spend on a spool of barbours will last you a long time doing holsters and anything else for that matter. Not sure how many holsters you make in a week but I am sure it will last you many months.

Also dont forget a little bit of neets foot oil when doing your mix, this will keep it a little bit softer.

One other thing I think I went with right twist but would have to look at the package.

Edited by MADMAX22

Thanks Madmaxx22.

Both spools are the same weight. I've been searching posts regarding the quality difference and it appears that the Hungarian thread breaks more easily. It would be best to stick with Barbours, I think. The cost difference per project is negligible. I only wish that it came in black... I am sooo lazy.

From what I have read, it really does not matter if it is left-twist or right-twist if it is for hand-stictching only. I know that there are a few people who would disagree with this though. However, since I do have a choice, and I am right-handed, I guess I should go with right-twist.... correct?

Lastly, I need to decide between 5-cord and 6-cord. I know that this choice is somewhat dependent upon thread spacing. I am working with 7-spi. Any advice here?

Nick

Design, molding and customer service sell holsters. Not thread. Get a good thread and make some holsters. Experience will get you to the right thread for you.

I use 277 nylon from thethreadexchage.com. Hand and with my Boss. Best of luck too you.

CJ

Edited by cjcinin317

Design, molding and customer service sell holsters. Not thread. Get a good thread and make some holsters. Experience will get you to the right thread for you.

I use 277 nylon from thethreadexchage.com. Hand and with my Boss. Best of luck too you.

CJ

Somewhat true, but if you could skip the junk stuff right off the bat and not waste your money with crappy thread that wont hold up and will be the weak point of your holster then why shouldnt ya. I am not saying its the only thread for hand sewing but if your going with linen (which just my personal opinion is the best for it) then get the good stuff, just like if you were getting the nylon wouldnt you like to not waste your money on a big roll of bad stuff.

Design, molding, and customer service is great till all your holsters start coming back because the thread is not holding up, or worse it doesnt hold up when its really needed.

Edited by MADMAX22

Somewhat true, but if you could skip the junk stuff right off the bat and not waste your money with crappy thread that wont hold up and will be the weak point of your holster then why shouldnt ya. I am not saying its the only thread for hand sewing but if your going with linen (which just my personal opinion is the best for it) then get the good stuff, just like if you were getting the nylon wouldnt you like to not waste your money on a big roll of bad stuff.

Design, molding, and customer service is great till all your holsters start coming back because the thread is not holding up, or worse it doesnt hold up when its really needed.

Never suggested "junk" thread. The post says a good thread. Just meant people buy holsters for design, molding to the gun, dye, finish, edges and the name stamped on them. Not the directional twist of the thread its sewn with. Though having worked with the general public for many years I'm sure there's a guy out that that only will buy a holster sewn with a tan linen 6 cord with a right hand twist.

The post was just an opinion.

Best wishes

CJ