swivelsphinx

Thin Sewing Awls: I Need A Recommendation !

I've been looking for a recommendation on hand-held sewing awls. Back in February, I called Campell & Randall's customer service, and asked for advice on which sewing awl might be appropriate for stitching with a CS Osbourne number 20 sewing needle. I own a "small" 1 5/8 diamond awl blade http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3319-05.aspx, and I wanted something smaller. The customer service rep recomened that I purchase a #44 in their catalog, which I did. Unfortunately, this piece was *not* smaller- it's not the same size, it's noticably larger than the one I have. Would it be possible to get a better recommendation on a choice of sewing awls? I need one that is smaller than the 1 5/8 diamond point made by CS Osborne.

Thanks!

Sheridan Leather Outfitters in Sheridan, WY sells the best from Bob Douglas.

I've never heard of a #20 needle, The smallest I've ever used is a #5 and that's pretty small. I finally made one (awl) from a bicycle spoke as suggested by someone here on the forum and it works great.

Good luck,

Kevin

Awls aren't terribly difficult to make so long as you're willing to go through a few practice pieces.

Start with some high carbon steel stock that's close to the size you want. For really small stuff 'music wire' from a model supplies shop is good. For bigger stuff I've used various things from spring steel offcuts and old allen keys to concrete nails from the hardware store.

Grind off all the bits that don't look like the awl you want. Stare at the result, repeat until you've got something that works for you.

The tip is the important bit, I've found that for really small stuff an oval blade works better than a diamond one, and is easier to make.

Is there any reason a suitable size leather point sewing machine needle fitted to a handle would not work? Or start with one and make it into an awl.

Could sand, shape, and sharpen any size drill bit you like, that would work well