ArtS

Tucker Gen II Saddle Tree

Does anyone know anything about the new Tucker Gen II tree? If so what do you think? I have a friend thinking of buying one.

Thanks,

ArtS

http://www.valleyvet.com/Library/lib_36480...cker_Gen_II.pdf

There are flexible trees and rigid trees. You can't have both in one tree. If you have a flexible bar you need a flexible front and cantle or it is like buying a really flexible fishing rod and putting it inside a pipe. All these manufacturers are looking for is a simple way around saddle fit and to date I have not seen a flexible bar with a rigid front and cantle that does not cause problems. Thier market is the new horse owner that does not know better. Look at the picture of the man on the horse. I sure wouldn't buy anything from some one that used that as an example of good unless I just didn't know any better.

David Genadek

Thanks David. What kind of problems does it cause? Sores where the flexible meets the rigid? They told her it was padded on the bottom of the bars. I told her that wouldn't make a difference once there is any weight in the seat. That would just compress until it's firm. Was I wrong?

ArtS

There are flexible trees and rigid trees. You can't have both in one tree. If you have a flexible bar you need a flexible front and cantle or it is like buying a really flexible fishing rod and putting it inside a pipe. All these manufacturers are looking for is a simple way around saddle fit and to date I have not seen a flexible bar with a rigid front and cantle that does not cause problems. Thier market is the new horse owner that does not know better. Look at the picture of the man on the horse. I sure wouldn't buy anything from some one that used that as an example of good unless I just didn't know any better.

David Genadek

You will find the same problems with those as you do with any other poorly fitting tree. With the rigid front and cantle they can not flex where they would really need to to make the correction to fit the different shapes. You can not shim them to correct the problem either because the flexible bar un does what your trying to do. Your explanation was good about there being pressure in the wrong place before it can bend.

The fronts and cantles generally act as bic C clamps causing pressure points. Also the way the seats and fenders are set

will further the problem. Tucker started with field trial people and they are not real interested in horsemanship. They build Brida saddles and I'm a major out spoken critic of that style of riding. That brings me to the fact that if your friend is of that mind they could be very happy with the saddle but I can guarentee the horse won't be.

David Genadek

Thanks!

ArtS

ArtS, I agree with DavidG about a few things here.

1. everyone wants to get their gimmic on the maket to apeal to another target group.

In the case of 'self adjusting trees' I have found that they work or they don't. You love em or you hate em. How do you know where you fit? No one can tell. Do you want to spend the money to for something that may not work? That's the question I pose to those who ask. Then they say that their best riding buddy has one and loves it. My responce is, do you know that it works because it truley fits the horse? 9Read some more of Rod/Denise's posts if you haven't it some clarity about fit)

Or as David said,is it dumb luck that all things are working together to not cause problems for that horse.

Another point about gimmic equiment and improper equipment is how much of the appearant success is actually from a good natured horse putting up with it and things just haven't been pushed to the point of that horse letting you know there is a problem. Of course too, some horses do try to let the rider know but it is inturpreted as bad behaivior and not the equipment.

Referring to DavidG's statement about the guys riding style in the Tucker add,and you recall the responce about the nightlatch, there is a lot that can be solved with horse and rider's problems if we improve our abilities as a rider.

There are a lot of mis-conceptions that many horse people have that usually lead them away from their solution. I know folks in the past who have tried Tuckers and others for their seat comfort rather than fit. In general I try to get people to learn to ride correctly and that padded seats usually will become a problem rather than fix it over a long run.

My philosophy is that a properly carved seat will improve a rider's comfort and riding ability and that will be passed on to the horse's improved ability to move while carrying the rider and both last longer on a ride. Can you get that from a generic commercial saddle? My 47 cents worth, Best wishes to you and your friend, GH

ArtS, I know that it is hard to get many people in the southeast to get their head around the concept and price of a custom made saddle. I have family in Tennesse and I have seen these Tucker saddles and they buy into the gimmicks around there. The fact is most of them do not know how to ride properly, they are just passengers, and when you sit in your car seat, you just want it to be comfortable.

Yawl are right. When I was making my saddle I was going to pad the seat but the saddle maker that was teaching me told me not to. That if the saddle was made right I wouldn't need it. He was right. I can ride 8 hours in my saddle with no problems. I also see a lot of new gimmicks. Some of them really make me laugh.

ArtS

ArtS, I know that it is hard to get many people in the southeast to get their head around the concept and price of a custom made saddle. I have family in Tennesse and I have seen these Tucker saddles and they buy into the gimmicks around there. The fact is most of them do not know how to ride properly, they are just passengers, and when you sit in your car seat, you just want it to be comfortable.