ShirleyT

Machines for hand-bags?

We are a hand-stitch shop looking to move to a couple of sewing machines, primarily for handbags. Any recommendations, cautions, help?

Thanks.

Hi Shirley,

On the used front, a Pfaff 335 or a refurbished Singer 11. On the new side, one of the 441s would also work, and a post machine could also do. As you know, you can do a lot to minimize the effects of machine type during construction by planned construction, but eventually a cylinder arm machine (and I like the small diameter ones even if you have to wind bobbins more often) will make things a lot easier. For screw-ups and repairs the post machine will save a lot of deconstruction. A patch machine, as cantankerous as those things are, can really save the bacon on some constructions and definitely on repairs.

Art

We are a hand-stitch shop looking to move to a couple of sewing machines, primarily for handbags. Any recommendations, cautions, help?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

You might even like to consider the Adler 069-373 or the later and slightly heavier 269-373, they are both cylinder bed machines, similar to the Pfaff 335 and ideal for handbags. The Seiko LSC-8BV is another popular, narrow-cylinder bed machine for handbags; these have the added advantage of being fitted with a 'Syncro-Binder' device, for applying leather edge bindings.

Steve

Great, info...on my way to $pend. Wish me luck.

Everybody get oudda da way.

Art

Great, info...on my way to $pend. Wish me luck.

Art, sent you a PM for more advice if you have a second. Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks.

Hi Shirley,

Art has some really good thoughts there... For what it's worth, we do some really high dollar bags here, and we use an Artisan 4618 post machine. Other posts are good as well, but this one has a gear driven top roller as well as bottom roller. For what it's worth, Bo Riddle swears by it, and the work he does on it is incredible. Either a post or a cylinder arm will do much better than a flat bed. But no matter what you buy, you'll want to keep in mind that if you get a machine with a roller foot, it will have a little trouble going up over really thick places. The advantage of it, is that you could probably put a decorative stitch on a gnat's wing! :)

Kevin Hopkins

Edited by kevinhopkins

Hi, Kevin. Hi, Kevin. Hi, Kevin. Not sure why but there are three "Hi, Shirley"s posted...You SURE are friendly. :wave:

Last one came through...Thank you so much! I so appreciate all the input. I've long admired your work. Now I "admire" your advice too!

Hi, Kevin. Hi, Kevin. Hi, Kevin. Not sure why but there are three "Hi, Shirley"s posted...You SURE are friendly. :wave:

Last one came through...Thank you so much! I so appreciate all the input. I've long admired your work. Now I "admire" your advice too!

Y'know, this stupid tab key doesn't do the same thing that it does with all my other typing applications!!! Sometimes I think my fingers are faster than my brain! And thanks so much for the kind words!

Happy Sewing!! :)

That happens after the tenth or eleventh cup of coffee. The 4618 is a great machine especially for the decorative work on boottops or belts, it has no reverse but you can spin on a nat's tes eyeball to lock off. A little (or a lot) of practice with that thing and you can make some really pretty stuff. It will actually sew stuff together too. It really seems to like 46 thread, which is good, you can get 46 in a whole bunch of colors. And if you need to repair a handbag, sometimes only a post or a patcher will work (without deconstructing the bag).

Art

Dear Art, Steve and Kevin,

Okay, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Pfaff clone from Ralph's in Denver. They are the closest dealer and my best hope if I ever need service. And maybe I can find a good, used, Artisan 4618 sooner than later. I'll pick it up on the way home from a week on a sailboat. It's a brave new world.

Thanks again for making all the time to help. I truly appreciate the effort and the wisdom offered. I'll keep you posted.

s.