I haven't used a lot of these, but decided to try some out this evening.

I applied several coats, buffing lightly between coats to get a darker stain. I like the fact that the leather's texture is still visible. I used a Thistle Green, which came out like a light green.

I applied my normal Neutral Leather Balm with Atom Wax and it lifted about 2 - 3 coats off. Pretty much took it back to the color of a single coat/application of the stain.

So, either I'm wrong in thinking stains can be darkened by repeated coats like dyes can, or I need to use something else to finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

I think they want you using carnauba creme with that dye according to their book of instructions.

I usually use super shene but spray it on.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Yes, I faced the same problem - these stains partly come off after applying finish - I tried Super Shene, Tan Kote and yes, Carnauba cream. I feel like Carnauba cream is the worst in this case which is a shame as I love Carnauba cream!

And no, I do not know the solution to this... But would be nice if someone could tell what the problem is.. Thank you!

I do what tree reaper says " spray it on" Tandy sold/sells it in a can or I have seen some say they put Super Sheen in a fine mist bottle

With the eco-flo hi-lites I find you have to first buff the hell out of them. After that, either spray on the finish or apply a light surface coat with a slightly dampened sponge. Once that tries come back with another coat or two. You'll still get some of the color pulled off with the finish, but you minimize it to a great extent.

The key I have found with super sheen is either spray it on or apply it in very light coats. I have used a brush with success with once again, multiple light coats.