penciledinsoul

Newbie Mallet Question

I am looking to start purchasing some tools and was wondering what the pros and cons of a wooden head mallet vs. a nylon head mallet or should I go with a different material all together? Thanks!

Sorry about the multiple posts, my mobile version was being hinky.

I started with a wooden 'hammer'; noisy. VERY NOISY.

Moved to poly-it was part fad and part practical back then. It was much quieter. Bought two sizes. While tooling there is(was) a noticeable rebound/bounce with early poly heads vs wood.

Moved to rawhide, again part fad, part practical. No rebound/bounce. Head degrades over time. Got four or five that form a sequence of sizes and weights. The smaller/ligher ones are particularly good for figure carving and very thin leather tooling.

Moved back to modern poly with a weighted maul for setting snaps, etc--then bought a press. Still use for large oblong holes and strap end punches. Returned to weighted rawhide hammer for makers mark and other larger stamps/medium punches.

Played with a couple different poly-head mallets/wackers. Nice but...

Now, given some thought to the matter, I've pretty much decided that until I hit the lottery, find myself back-ordered for 6 months or more or just lose my mind there will be no new tools for a while. Well until something pretty comes along. Or there is a sale. Or I win one.

I suspect YMMV like mine did. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the insight! Very helpful.

Wooden mallet also sheds fibres that drop onto your work and may get stamped into the leather if you don't notice in time. So I stay away from wood.

You can cut a thin layer off the face of wood or rawhide to square up the face after it has become all beat up.

Tom