UKRay

What is the best sort of table for a leatherwork sewing machine

I'm starting to feel the pain of owning a big powerful sewing machine. The four legged table/stand it is mounted on is not as robust as I would like and I'm not happy about the overall stability of the machine when it kicks into operation.

What advice can you give me about choosing a new machine table or stand based on your own experience. Would I be better with a pedestal stand? Does it need to be on wheels? Do I need to look for anything special? What about fitting the machine - does one size fit all? What 'extras' are available that make life easier?

Help and advice gratefully received guys. Thanks.

Ray

Ray:

Can you post a picture of this stand so that we can see it? I like the pedestal stands with wheels on them because they are pretty much infinitely height adjustable. The wheels make it nice because you can push the machine anywhere.

However, the 4-legged stands work well also. If yours is not stable enough, you'll want to see if you can shim up the legs on the bottom. If the legs are not all touching the ground, then that can cause problems.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Here you go, Ryan. I have just checked and all four feet are touching the ground. The problem comes because the machine is set too far to the left of the stand (as you look at the picture) I have offset this by mounting a heavy rotary punch on the other end which counterbalances the machine head and servo motor and works up to a point but is still not perfect. Any suggestions?

Highlead_in_workshop.jpg

post-6314-1243784783_thumb.jpg

Ray, You have a wood floor!! A couple of L brackets for a pound, and you're stable. (Geez, I wish it was that cheap to fix me!).

If you need rollers, you could do the same with adjusting L brackets on the legs, and a couple of places on the floor to put in some c brackets for the Ls to hook into.

Or, you could drill a few extra holes in closer to center of gravity, and remount your machine, and add some wheels, that would solve it.

Ray, You have a wood floor!! A couple of L brackets for a pound, and you're stable. (Geez, I wish it was that cheap to fix me!).

If you need rollers, you could do the same with adjusting L brackets on the legs, and a couple of places on the floor to put in some c brackets for the Ls to hook into.

Or, you could drill a few extra holes in closer to center of gravity, and remount your machine, and add some wheels, that would solve it.

Oh it sounds so easy the way you describe it, Dave. Sadly, that wood floor is 3" thick 15th century oak that is as hard as iron. Brackets are a nice idea but I don't really want to spoil the wood and the conservation people would skin me alive...

The machine is now okay left to right but backwards and forwards can be a worry! The rotary punch is helping a lot so I guess I could pile a load more junk on there until it doesn't move any more. Nah - bad plan...

If I'm going to need to remount the machine (which is my current plan) then I'm definitely buying a new stand as this one is simply not the full shilling (as we say here in the UK). It is missing a few key bits and I don't like it.

Now what sort of stand should I get?

Oh it sounds so easy the way you describe it, Dave. Sadly, that wood floor is 3" thick 15th century oak that is as hard as iron. Brackets are a nice idea but I don't really want to spoil the wood and the conservation people would skin me alive...

The machine is now okay left to right but backwards and forwards can be a worry! The rotary punch is helping a lot so I guess I could pile a load more junk on there until it doesn't move any more. Nah - bad plan...

If I'm going to need to remount the machine (which is my current plan) then I'm definitely buying a new stand as this one is simply not the full shilling (as we say here in the UK). It is missing a few key bits and I don't like it.

Now what sort of stand should I get?

Hi Ray,

The stand/bench I am using, with our machine, is perfectly stable, I have had no problems with it at all. Although it is very similar to yours, the bar/plate to which the pedals are mounted is longer and more robust, in fact I think that there are actually two, parallel bars.

I think this may be your problem.

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Nice looking machine.

It's similar to the toro 400p. Anyone know how much heavier the 4000p is than the 4000R?

I have a very similar stand with my Model 6, which is similar to the toro 4000R, and all is fine with the stand. I have my drill press where you have your rotary punch, but I have it there just because the space was appropriate.

ed

Hi Ray,

The stand/bench I am using, with our machine, is perfectly stable, I have had no problems with it at all. Although it is very similar to yours, the bar/plate to which the pedals are mounted is longer and more robust, in fact I think that there are actually two, parallel bars.

I think this may be your problem.

Steve

Hi Ray,

Yes, I was right, I've just checked and taken this pic! The stands that I have here, are a lot more heavily built than yours, and more suitable for the longer arm machines. If you like, you can exchange the one I have our 45K25 fitted to, with your bench, the 45K has a much shorter arm and your lighter bench would be OK.

Steve

stand.jpg

post-7482-1243810498_thumb.jpg

Ray

When I bought my 45k from David Flint he supplied it on a Wimsew table, which has castors and a brake. He also very skilfully jigsawed a cutaway to the left of the machine to allow for large items to be sewn. The cut-out piece can be quickly placed back in position as required. I can't find the table on Wimsew's website (http://wimsew.co.uk/).

If all else fails - and Steve's offer sounds good! - it may be worth giving David a call . . . I don't think he's far from you. I've attached a picture of the table that I've borrowed from his eBay listing, but this doesn't have the cut-out.

Terry

edeb_1_1_.jpg

post-7199-1243816892_thumb.jpg

Ray if nothing else - put a piece of board across the bottom of the table and fill it up with nice heavy things (where that cardboard box is sitting)

like some bricks or something

and I am sooo jelous that you live in a house from the 15th cen.

It must be amazing at night to hear the "wispers" of the centuries in your home.

Thanks for all the offers of help. Flinty actually fitted the Servo to this machine so he knows it well. I'll be in touch about the stand, Steve. That is a very generous offer.

Suze - I mostly lie in bed at night listening to the wildlife in the roof!

The creaking of ancient wooden floors and timbers is the nearest I get to voices from the past - although more than one visitor has mentioned seeing the resident ghost. Personally I enjoy the sense of permanence you get from living in an ancient structure. There is something rather wonderful about living in a house that was already old when Cortez conquered Montezuma and Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne of England.

The downside is constant maintenance and not being able to bolt brackets to the floor to hold your sewing machine down... A small price to pay really! LOL