Ive got a guy around town that is doing a pretty good business with modern "cowboys and cowgirls" wanting very bright and shiny belts.

You can see the attached with many colors they also like Sheridan carving with a bright background

Want to get into painting but dont know the best brand, type, methods, and finishing process (basically I don't know anything about it....). Any info would help as i am going by the supply shop this weekend....

Frank you berry mussh!

post-14884-012197400 1313683119_thumb.jp

I've had pretty good luck with the acrylic enamels from Wal Mart. I have mainly used the metallic colors thinned with water and put on several coats. I seal everything up after it dries using resolene 50/50.

seems easy enough, my buddy has been using Tandys paint but has had some problems with it chipping off......ever run into this before?

I have not used the Cova Colors from Tandy. I have a friend who uses them and he is the one who turned me on to the enamels. He did mention that he thinned the Cova Colors when he uses them though. So far, I have not had any chipping with the enamel. I use it mainly on Arm Cuffs (similar to cowboy cuffs).

Well i will simply start with the acrylic paints from wal-mart, thank you so much for your help on this.

i have acrylic resolene, are you saying cut it with 50% water, or is this some other product?

I use Golden Fluid Acrylics that are avialable from Dick Blick art supply. They cost a little more but have great adhesion and UV resistance. I use them on motorcycle tank bibs and have for awhile now. No issues with chipping, scratching or fading and some of my client's bikes are exposed to some decent weather conditions (not to mention gas spills, etc.) I use the Golden Airbrush Medium to thin them when painting, usually 50/50 and then layer the color.

The problem with chipping you mention is usually due to trying to apply the paint in 1-2 coats. The thicker the coat, the less opportunity the paint underneath has to dry and adhere. By thinning it down (acrylics are thinned with either an acrylic medium or water) and then layering the color in thinner coats it will adhere better and be more flexible.

I use Golden Fluid Acrylics that are avialable from Dick Blick art supply. They cost a little more but have great adhesion and UV resistance. I use them on motorcycle tank bibs and have for awhile now. No issues with chipping, scratching or fading and some of my client's bikes are exposed to some decent weather conditions (not to mention gas spills, etc.) I use the Golden Airbrush Medium to thin them when painting, usually 50/50 and then layer the color.

The problem with chipping you mention is usually due to trying to apply the paint in 1-2 coats. The thicker the coat, the less opportunity the paint underneath has to dry and adhere. By thinning it down (acrylics are thinned with either an acrylic medium or water) and then layering the color in thinner coats it will adhere better and be more flexible.

Thanks very much for the info Spinner, i like your motorcycle work and will probably order a few of them burnishers.

I just called my buddy and he indeed has not been thinning his paint.

I will try these methods, what kind of finish, if any, do you like to use?

I have had good luck with Resolene thinned 50/50 with water then sprayed from an airbrush and with Tandy's Super Sheen in the spray can. I prefer the resolene more as it seems to be slightly more durable. It does take a bit longer to dry (I usually wait 24 hours to apply any top coat dressing) but once dry it tends to resist water better.

Additional note - I recommend spraying the sealer/protective coat on due to the fact that any color or dye that a rag could pick up when wiping on a finish can transfer to other areas, quickly ruining hours of work. Don't ask how I know this... ;)

Yes, I cut the resolene with water as well.